FAC Application

Stamford

As the title says, I'm looking at sending off for my FAC but I'm unsure on what to put down... Obviousley FAC Air and .22LR would be a starting point, do I be greedy and to save putting it on at a later date and try to get .17HMR aswell ? Do I really want or need the .17 ?

Really confused, some help would be appreciated :good:

Depends on what sort of ground youre shooting on, what quarry you are going for and at what range.

If you are after a general rabbitting gun then .22lr.

If you are going for .22lr then I wouldnt bother with FAC air, and if you are planning on shooting rabbits over 100 yards, corvids, or if richochet is an issue then opt for the HMR.

Id personally just apply for the .22 and .17 and then its up to you which one you go for first, or get both for different situations.

OK I posted on another forum and basically had the same response but in more numbers :good: I'll forget the FAC Air and just stick with the .22 & .17 and see what happens, probabley only get the .22 for now anyways.

Landwise, its quite a large one, approx 1000 acres mostly arable / pasture with about 200 aces of woods but absolutley over run with rabbits, so ideally the .22 would suffice.

Thanks GatGun

I've just got my FAC for .22lr and air rifle, i did apply for my 17 hmr but i cancelled it, i use the air rifle a lot and the lr now and then but get you shotgun cert at the same time and it's a lot cheaper...

i bought a BSA SUPER 10 RUNNING 27.8 F/LBS AND IT'S GREAT COS YOU CAN USE IT ANYWHERE, the ruger 10/22 needs a lot of back stops in place so can only be used in open areas. the air rifle can be used inside or outside biuldings so more versitile..

Edited by tony the tiger

Put in for all three.

Just add a little extra note saying that the rabbits are at times very difficult to shoot at sub 100 yards, so a .17HMR would be an ideal tool.

They can only say no.

How much ammo are you going to ask for and have you requested your sound mods?

Put in for all three.

Just add a little extra note saying that the rabbits are at times very difficult to shoot at sub 100 yards, so a .17HMR would be an ideal tool.

They can only say no.

How much ammo are you going to ask for and have you requested your sound mods?

Not thought about ammo or sound moderators yet, what the suggestions ?

Good point raised there.

Sound mods are a must really in this day and age.

Put + sound mod next to each chosen calibre. If you must put a reason then health and safety and to avoid annoying neighbours etc.

For rounds Id opt for maybe 600 to store and 500 to buy for each. Every constabulary is different but thats a good starting point which will allow you to buy 500 at a time and maybe recieve a bit of discount off the cartridges.

sorry to but in guys but i was thinking of getting my fac as well m8 but so confusing init my got what to do, im sick of trying to walk rabbit in or waiting for them to pop out, even though i got a decent air gun and have shot plenty of quarry its so frustrating, just not killing as much as i liked if i had a fac air rifle my count would be so much higher.

so would it be better to get a rimfire for the bunnies and keep my 12ft for indoor work or should i get an air rifle fac for bird pests crows maggies ect it gona be expensive.

can i put fac air rifle and rimfire on the form

sorry to but in guys but i was thinking of getting my fac as well m8 but so confusing init my got what to do, im sick of trying to walk rabbit in or waiting for them to pop out, even though i got a decent air gun and have shot plenty of quarry its so frustrating, just not killing as much as i liked if i had a fac air rifle my count would be so much higher.

so would it be better to get a rimfire for the bunnies and keep my 12ft for indoor work or should i get an air rifle fac for bird pests crows maggies ect it gona be expensive.

can i put fac air rifle and rimfire on the form

You will always be waiting for rabbits to pop out if you're walking about. A rifle won't allow you to "snipe" a bunny at a quarter of a mile.

As for birds, a shotgun is the right tool for dealing with those and a non fac airgun if it's around the farm buildings.

:lol: My FAC plans have just been scuppered and now I dont know what to do :rolleyes: Basically, spoke to the keeper and he said there are way too many FAC holders on the estate and has been told by his last Flo inspection that he needs to cut down :blink: However, he did say that I can go back to him when I get my open ticket, how do I do this if I havent got the land available, do I need to join a rifle club ? What do I put on the FAC application ? Do I join a club and then put in the application and show the club as where the rifle would be used ?

Lots of questions that I know you guys can answer........ How long does it take to acquire an open ticket ? What is an open ticket ?

Thanks

they do this occasionally when they think people are using it as a base permission to get their FAC and shooting elsewhere. Best option is to look for another permission to get it on you'll still be able to shoot on that estate as the ground will have been cleared

Thats the old age problem again isnt, ttrying to find land permission, took me ages to get what I have..... I may have one other chance with a guy that endorsed my application, he has a small farm and stables but unssure of the size.... Is there a minimum for .22 ?

Not realy a minimum size but all depends on the layout of the land. If its flat it will need to be considerably larger than if it was hilly. One field I shoot on is only 40 acres surounded by other fields which have a sindicate on so no chance of permission on there and it is passed for 22rf and 17hmr. So try this land you have got nothing to loose but a lot to gain.