Primo crow call tips on blowing please

Spaniel

Well my Primo loud crow call came today, 2 days after ordering via decoy direct, excellent service

But when i was out today with it, it kept stopping, think it was the amount of spit on the reed for some reason, is there a correct way of blowing these to stop this from happening

I took mine out today for the first time on barley stubbles and it too clogged up a wee bit initially,but if i gripped it between my teeth everso slightly (not to change the note though)-it stayed cleaner longer.I do think it will always happen regardless because the reed is quite small.

How effective did you find it? I found it was excellent at bringing them in and even if they turned away-i'd blow the caller and they'd come back round.Only problem was they settled in the field about 20yds further than my decoys so were out of range and i ended up with only 8 crows.I've pm'd Steve B to ask him how many times he calls them because even when i listen to crows themselves-they switich between 3-4 then repeat.

Most callers 'clog up' after a while. A few nifty taps on the knee usually clears mine(which isn't a primos BTW)

If you remember that three calls in quick succession is the alarm call you will do ok. In other words don't do three unless you are decoying with an owl or stuffed fox! I generally find that one long and a slight pause followed by two quicker blasts works well. Don't over-do it though, less is more ,as they say!

With mine. if I bite on the mouthpiece and blow a quick blast I can get pretty close to a Jackdaws call. Several repeated calls in the spring are close to the mating call and I've had quite a bit of success with it then.

Listen to feeding birds and try to imitate them. Practice makes perfect(another cliche!)

GH

Thanks Guys, i was getting a bit frustrated with it yesterday as i dont have the same probs with the acme one, but as soon as i blew this one, i could tell it sounded alot more realistic then the acme to be honest....

I will keep practising etc as i think i will have some good success with it, what was annoying was that i managed to call them in just behind me but thats when the thing clogged up but did manage to call one nice crow in over the decoy twice to be honest

Cheers

i use the acme crow call and the primos power call. both have there time. acme is a jackdaw call in my mind, works every time if there close it will bring them within the gun. the power call i use just to get the last few meters out of the bird as i use something else to start them off, i like to take photos you see :yes:

as for spit blocking, yes mine does it as well but i just turn it around and a suck in stead and that seams to clear it. its going to be dry late, hinest, so i might go out on stuble where i know theres been loads of crows as i havent been for a long time.

Phil

i use the acme crow call and the primos power call. both have there time. acme is a jackdaw call in my mind, works every time if there close it will bring them within the gun. the power call i use just to get the last few meters out of the bird as i use something else to start them off, i like to take photos you see :good:

as for spit blocking, yes mine does it as well but i just turn it around and a suck in stead and that seams to clear it. its going to be dry late, hinest, so i might go out on stuble where i know theres been loads of crows as i havent been for a long time.

Phil

Nothing wrong with taking photos of the wildlife Phil, i enjoy photography myself but it tends to drive the Mrs around the bend some times.....think she thinks im turning into an anorak :good:

Isn't it only electronic calls that are not allowed for calling in bird's ?

The ACME call, I would say, is better suited for Jackdaw's. The Primos Power crow call is, as I have said many times, a brilliant caller. Once you master the art of using it correctly, the crow's will keep on coming. I use a flapper with dead crow on, and a few floaters, so once the crows have arrived, they see the flapper, and go nuts!

This set up, along with some decoys, has always worked for me.

When I get chance, I will get my mate bulletboy to film me using my caller, and I'll see if I can get it on PW.