19 pigeons

Hi All.

Don and i had a day out earlier in the week after pigeons. We shot a field of peas that are nearly ready for cutting and the grey hordes have been having a real go at 'em.

It will come as no surprise that once we had a few birds in the bag the psychological warfare began with don with each miss being carefully scrutinised and his uselessness being pointed out to him didn't go down too well at times i can tell you!! he positively curled his lip at me once or twice HA HA.

Well as the bag steadily grew and dons pile of empty cartridges reached epic proportions a fine time was being had by all. I have been training a new recruit for the team recently it is actually brackens daughter who until recent times has been little more than a pet. Well her lessons have been going well enough to let her have a go at the real thing today it gives me great pleasure to introduce china (affectionately known as blondie)

P8080125.jpg

it isnt her blood on her face she had just retrieved one of dons runners in fine style with a wing flapping in her face which she had extricated from a particularly muddy pit hole. Now china is full of character...... i think you all know what that means..... yep she is prone to running in........ whines with a fever pitched intensity if you miss too many and she cant go out of the hide to find 'em and views whistle signals as a personal challenge but what she lacks in skill she makes up for with blonde exuberance and is looking like she will make a decent hide dog as long as you either dont miss too many or you are wearing ear plugs. Well we packed up at around 4pm as i was going on nights and just had time to take a quick pic of the slain and picking up team

P8080131.jpg

Dons pile of empty cartridges had reached mountainous proportions by now and i was inclined to photograph it for posterity but alas i dont have a wide angle lense on my camera, your humble scribe had maintained a respectable 95% hit rate whilst directing the picking up to too, but i am not one to brag i am sure don will have a comment or two to add later. thanks for reading and good luck to all with the coming season. rgds. Adrian

This report was full of mistruths as usual - must be difficult when your cartridge:kill ratio is a lot worse than an older (more experienced) shooter using a little, itsy bitsy 20 bore.

China was a great success - for years I was subject to abuse about my headstrong cocker, and China was like a bull in a pigeon hide :lol::lol: What goes round comes round.

Still, an excellent afternoons shooting, although the psychological barracking reached borderline limits on occasion.....

Don