Moving Cabinet

danccooke

Hi,

I am thinking of moving my cabinet from the loft (as it is a pain in the ****) and moving it into a cupboard/roomy thing (too big to be a cupboard, too small to be a room) downstairs.

do i need to let him know? My wife is about to apply for a SGC anyway so he will see it then or is that bad manners?

Regards

Dan

Nice chap he is.

Yep no problems with where i want to move it, and also told me to drop my wife's application off to him rather than put it in the station as they send to another then on to another then back to him adding at least 10 days.

super helpful man, glad I called now.

Just as an aside to this, I recently upgraded my cabinet from a 3 gun to a 5 gun. I rang the FAO as I wasn't sure whether he needed to know. Turns out that in theory they don't need to know about it, but its always better to let them know. In my case, he popped straight round and double-checked it before upping my gun allowance to 6!

Was there any concerns about the security of your home before you got the all-clear or did you just buy the 6-gun box without talking to them?

Is it only the initial interview which the security of your house comes into consideration?

Didn't see where you're based Jimmy..

I'm based in the Medway area of Kent. The extra gun allowance wasn't the reason for the purchasing the larger cabinet. I only wanted a bigger cabinet after having adjustable butt plates put onto my guns (which meant they didn't fit properly into the smaller cabinet.) I even told the FAO that I was still only going to store 3 guns max, but he said... "You never know!"

I think he was happy with the security of my home from the initial visit but the extra gun allowance was the FAOs choice rather than something I asked for.

Hi,

I am thinking of moving my cabinet from the loft (as it is a pain in the ****) and moving it into a cupboard/roomy thing (too big to be a cupboard, too small to be a room) downstairs.

do i need to let him know? My wife is about to apply for a SGC anyway so he will see it then or is that bad manners?

Regards

Dan

Snap, will be moving mine next weekend. Spoke to my Firearms dept, they said yes they do need to know as the FAO will need to inspect the new installation, however I mentioned that I’m just about to send in my FAC app so could the inspection be done when the interview takes place, so as not to waste anyone’s time - answer was yes, move the cabinet and drop a note in with the FAC application.

Hope this helps.

This raises the interesting situation "MY FRIEND" has, he originally had a number of guns that would just fit into a 5 gun cab, he then got permission to aquire 3 more , obviously my friend would have to buy and fit another cab which he did, but here is the point, at no time has the fao questioned the security arrangements for these extra firearms, in fact the fao has not even visited when, or since, the 3 were applied for and granted.

Whether the fao is just too busy or my friend is deemed trustworthy I dont know, but compared with some of the horror stories I read on here over the treatment of shooters by police and fao,s, then we have it fairly easy, for which we are obviously grateful.

Rgds D2D.

Edited by dusk2dawn

Whether the fao is just too busy or my friend is deemed trustworthy I dont know, but compared with some of the horror stories I read on here over the treatment of shooters by police and fao,s, then we have it fairly easy, for which we are obviously grateful.

Agreed. It does seem that the Kent Firearms guys are very helpful and pro our sport. Long may it continue!

I think it really depends what force you're under. It sounds like you've got it all sorted though which is good. I moved house a year ago and put my safe where I waned it to go. They haven't even been out to check the security in the new house! That really did surprise me!

yep some show common sense, mine have never set a limit on the number of guns or questioned moving the cabinet. To an extent the onus is on you and the runny stuff only hits the fan if they're stolen at that point you have to show you had them properly secured.