Few pics of my pup

Dave C

Here are a few pics of Fern, she has just gone 5 months now and coming along nicely.

Fernpup030.jpg

Fernpup003.jpg

Fern scenting where rabbits were sat.

Fernpup006.jpg

Where did they all go

Fernpup004.jpg

Fernpup011.jpg

She loves jumping through the long grass

Fernpup033.jpg

Fernpup012.jpg

She found a hidden Pheasant wing in the nettles

Fernpup026.jpg

Retrieving a dummy in the garden

Fernpup023.jpg

She is hitting cover hard when hunting and retrieving Pheasant wings and dummies very well.

So fingers crossed in a few months i could end up with a handy shooting partner.

Dave.

• 2 months later...

Well i havent put up any pics of Fern for a while so this is what we have been up to.

This is her at 6 months and coming on well with her training, i thought it was time to get her out up the Dale and let her hunt up a few rabbits, she is good on the blind retrieves so getting her to hunt wasn't a problem.

I left the Shotgun at home but took the starter pistol, she has been around gunfire at the Clay ground, but a little more wont hurt.

augtraining011.jpg

augtraining008.jpg

Getting into the cover

augtraining009.jpg

Flushing a Rabbit

augtraining010.jpg

augtraining005.jpg

She learnt alot in the reedbeds and luckily she found out what she was hunting, i wont be taking her up the dale to often yet as she is still young with plenty of time, but i think its good to get some scent into them and break the retrieveing rutine every now and then.

Dave

This is Fern at 7 months.

We were out for a bit of training and hoped for some better luck than i had had all week, first of all Fern had been kicked by a horse earlier in the week and escaped luckily unharmed, and then went on a Fox drive on Saturday, we should have taken 3 but all made good there escape :icon_redface:

So any way took the pup out again up the dale, but this time took the Shotgun, a week is a long time in the life of a pup and she started slowly, we then hit a spot where there was alot of scent and she picked right up hunting well, she flushed 2 rabbits without knowing it and then after about 1 hours hunting she found a nice sitter in the reedbeds, she circled it twice then pointed and rushed in, i blew the whistle but to my surprise she was already sitting, luckily i kept my end of the deal and made the shot, she then made a text book retrieve, i then relised i had held my breath the whole time waiting for a mistake, but it didnt come.

It had all gone so well and not wanting to spoil the session, so i decided to leave it on a high and head home.

sepfern008.jpg

sepfern017.jpg

sepfern019.jpg

sepfern004.jpg

sepfern005.jpg

sepfern001.jpg

sepfern020.jpg

A nice hours training and the pup showing great promise.

Dave.

And this was Fern 2 weeks ago, on her first mooch about for Pheasants.

Was out for an hour after work, on one of our Rough shooting farms.

Me and my mate Jamie had Fudge the Cocker X and i took Fern for a training session.

Fern

09Oct025.jpg

Jamie and Fudge walking the storm belt.

09Oct023.jpg

09Oct006.jpg

Fern the pup starting to hit cover well

09Oct003.jpg

Fudge getting right into the thick

09Oct022.jpg

Fern with her first Pheasant Retrieve, i was over the moon, it was text book

09Oct002.jpg

Fern was really getting into the hunting and looking really keen, which i wanted but i thought it was time to call it a day, before she got to excited.

oct1001.jpg

End of day was a bit dark, sorry

09Oct030.jpg

All in all it was a good hour with allot happening, i think Fern learnt allot without loosing her head, but its back to training for another week or so before our next outing.

Dave.