next question....

Axeman1984

thanks for the reply's guys, now for my next question :good: one of my hobs is really placid but the other is a bit spiky and bites so how do i learn him not to bite and how do you get them to let go when they do coz he just hangs on, thanks again for the help fellas im on a bit of a learning curve here... :lol:

how old his he?? if its still young,i allways push a finger down its throat a bit when it tries to bite,they soon learn that biting hurts them too. if its an old ferret get rid id say.as for when it has locked on,theres a few ways,i allways pinch them on snout that usually works,but you ll have loads of different veiws on that one :lol::good:

there not old, at a guess i would say there about 5 months, i wont lie its knocked my confidence bit, they had both been good all day and then he just decided to have a go, he really did chomp down on my finger i diden't think he was gonna let go, so i left it for a bit then picked him up with a glove on and he had another go, so i tried this scruffing trick everytime he bit the glove and he seemed to get the message, he still dont like letting go tho, only trouble is im a bit dubious about picking him up without a glove on now, oh well i dident go into this to give up at the first hurdle so keep the advice comeing and hopefully they will tame up ok :good:

Worst thing you can do is dither and hesitate with your hand floating above them. This will only serve to scare them (you are alot bigger) and make them bite.

Handle confidently and normally while talking to them in a gentle voice. If and when they nip shout NO and tap on the nose.

If one really latches on (undesirable set of circumstances to say the least) then head under a tap or bucket of water until it lets go will work.

FM :good:

• 2 weeks later...

a few ways to get them off, always have a bucket of water by the cage, if he latches on, submerge hand and fert in water, he will let go, but get hand out of way or he may latch on again, a few dunks and they learn,

or

english mustard on your gloved hand

or

full feed of fresh rabbit, then handle, offer one hand in front of him, but not to close, get his attention, then other hand comes from above and picks up, once held, run your over hand over his body a few times, right to tip of tail, the more you handle and stroke, the easier it becomes,

if you need advice or anything, just pm me, your welcome to drive over here for a chat