Milk

Glensman

Here's the craic lads,

My pointer loves milk, and I give it to her all the time with her food. But my woman's cousin just got a cocker in London and the vet told her not to let it have milk because it's bad for dogs...

It's the first I've heard of it and was wondering what you guys thought?

goats milk is fine

Used this mixed with honey when the lab had kennel cough, didnt adversly effect her at all and was given on the breeders instruction.

I doubt your dog will be able to discern between the milk of a goat or a moo-moo.

Both dogs I have had love milk.

Jack (My old Lab) used to have a small bowl a day. Never done him any harm, lived till 16.

My ESS loves it although we don't give him any in any great quantity, he may get to get a dribble from the bottom of a cereal bowl as a treat every once in a while. But when anyone has a dairy product and he is around he is on you like a flash, whining and moaning for some.

Edited by ShaggyRS6

goats milk is fine

The 2nd finest milk there is for growing pups, find someone with goats they usually have more milk than they know what to do with and have it already frozen, buy up all you can store and you wont go far wrong, pups on goats milk grow before your very eyes lol.

Rgds D2D

i did type a load a but it but lost it all so copied from petwise.

Lactose Intolerance, a common digestive disorder, is caused by the inability to break down the sugar in milk. That undigested sugar forms the perfect environment for bacteria to form in the intestinal tract and attack the stomach. Dog and cat owners should be aware of the symptoms so they can remove all dairy products immediately from their pet’s diet if they think lactose intolerance is at work.

Symptoms of Lactose Intolerance

The most common and overt signs of lactose intolerance are vomiting and diarrhea, which isn’t surprising because the digestive system isn’t working properly. Sometimes a dog will drink excess amounts of water because lactose intolerance can also cause dehydration.

Since lactose intolerance is essentially an allergic reaction, owners should also look for the signs one might more often associate with allergies. For instance, if the dog or cat licks its paws or rubs its face on the floor, then its skin is clearly irritated and itchy, and this could be the result of lactose intolerance if dairy products are indeed a staple of the pet’s diet. It’s also possible that other allergic reactions like a mucus discharge from the eye or nose could occur, although this is less common.

Other dairy products can have a different effect. Cheese, for example, can cause constipation. This problem manifests itself in the dog and/or cat straining to have regular bowel movements and small, hard, and dry feces.

Even puppies and kittens, who can obviously tolerate their mother’s milk, are not necessarily immune to this problem. Puppies and kittens are often allergic to cow’s milk, but not their mother’s milk. This can lead to diarrhea and the pet being unable to wait until it’s outside to have a bowel movement. The best rule of thumb for a dog and/or cat owner is to severely limit or simply eliminate dairy products from their pet’s diet.

I'm lactose intolerant as well as gluten and the pain i get is very bad so i wouldn't wish it on anyone let alone my best mate the cocker spaniel :good: