Bead to Bead O/U

Big Dog

Went claying last Thursday night. I would be to embarassed to tell you my scores other than to say I think I should give up. :sly:

I am using a (new to me) Beretta 687 - 28" M/c. One of the guys who felt sorry for me looked at my gun and said she is too flat. When I view the rib, tight cheeked, the middle bead is close to the top of the front bead. It a bit like a rifle, if you aimed it like a rifle you would be on target. Hope that is clear.

He said you want about 1/4" of rib shown between the 2 when you sight it. This means you aim lower, keep the bird in sight at all time and hey! problem over,,,,well as long is it is not me shooting. :*)

Saturday I went out with large sheets of paper and tested with a 1/2 and skeet chokes and 25 & 30 yards. If I tight cheeked the stock, aimed at the 4" circle it patterned low. With the front red bead was sitting just on top of the centre bead and aimed 5" below centre of the circle, it gave a good patern, sometimes a bit to the right, which may have been me but I don't think so.

What do you think?? Any good advice?? Should I get the stock fitted with an adjustable bit?? Can't remember what you call it :D:D or should I give up :shoot:

far wiser men than i will answer this i'm sure, but before you go out spending a lot of money on alterations, try adjusting your mount if you are burying you head into the stock try just mounting it slightly lower in your shoulder, if this is not an option, i've read somewhere that put cloths over the stock to build it up to see if it makes a difference before having full alterations done.

hope some of this is usefull.

Nothing like a gun that fits - people pay a fortune for them - but most of this is in the mounting.

Always mount her from behind. That's what I was told.

All people have a way of doing it. Watch other shooters and see what different styles there are. Then copy them and see what happens. Really, you shouldn't be looking at the gun anyway, eyes on target and the gun thing just sorta happens.

Try a lesson at your local clay ground. the lesson in it's self will probably do your scores no end of good and when you've got the mounting sorted, all your problems will be solved.

RTD

When looking down the rib you should see both beads in a figure of eight pattern, that is one over the other. If the mid bead is obscuring the end bead, then the comb of the gun needs raising.

A good item for this, and one I have used myself, is a 'Cheek-eez' pad. These come in different thicknesses and are self adhesive. I think the website for these is:

www.gunauction.co.uk/kickeez.htm

Having said that, if the gun fits well and you are shooting clays, you should have your eye on the clay and not the rib and bead!

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Big Dog , i dont know if you've tried this yet but here you go .

before anything else is said gun fit is a personal thing ,what works for one may screw you up royaly ,its a matter of finding the right mount and sight picture that works for your stance/mount/picture.

some shooters like the flat rib one bead picture ,target above muzzle and in veiw

some like (as posted ) the snowman effect 2 beads visable ,course you gotta have 2 2 c 2 :sly: ,this is fine for rising targets ,as your gun comes up into the pocket rising with the target .

you may try this for practice in finding the right placing for your face , pic a spot on a wall at say 20 yds or so (distance is not in point at the moment) shoulder the gun so as to shoot the spot ,take note of the picture over the rib,do it enough so as you feel you are repeating the mount , now pending the drop at heel of your gun if you move your face forward or backwards from where you mount you will find the muzzle slides up or down creating a differing picture over the rib, once you find the most comfortable point for your cheeck to sit also giving the desired p.o.a. picture try shooting 10 or so targets (easy straightaways to start) and see the result ,you may wish to move to suit the target breaks ,eg breaking the bottom or top , left or right of the target.

as has also been said by apbuild, your eye should be on the target not the bead ,is true , but its also nice to now how to adjust a mount from an annoying problem to a working mount .

good luck in your quest for perfection :shoot:

if i can be of any help just ask .

Martin

First of all I assume you know wich eye dominant you are. Mount the gun, place a £1 coin rigt at te back of te rib and wen you look down the rib the front beed shoud appear to float on top of te coin. If you are getting that picture you would expect to get roughly 1/3 bellow POA and 2/3 above.

Dave

Hi

imho unless the gun fit is very wrong master eye problem or similar, having the gun expertly fitted will not bring fantastic results but will help with consistency and be an aid to getting the odd one or two extra clays. A lesson from someone qualified may be of greater benefit as a small change to posture or style may be all that is required.

the above is just my humble opinion :)

best regards

steve

your right about the gun fitting caragh,we've all seen the new perrazi owner struggle to keep up with the old ruger shooter,the best fitting gun in the world wont break you birds if your not pointing it in the right direction ,it all comes down to practice and perceverance a lesson or 2 from an instructor will make a differance ,

try not to listen to a mate who shoots little more than you ,he's got his prob's as well .

Martin

Thanks guys. What is frustrating is I used to be a good shot. I liked fast birds and bunnies, was always lower bags on slow crows etc, my mate killed them dead. I think I need some time on a trap just working on the same bird to I get on to them again. I lost my natural touch if you know what I mean.

Anyway thanks for the tips, I will try some more adjustment tomorrow.

Thanks guys. What is frustrating is I used to be a good shot. I liked fast birds and bunnies, was always lower bags on slow crows etc, my mate killed them dead. I think I need some time on a trap just working on the same bird to I get on to them again. I lost my natural touch if you know what I mean.

Anyway thanks for the tips, I will try some more adjustment tomorrow.

i can relate to what your talking about ,im a very fast aggresive target shooter,when you throw a long lazy target i fall asleep waiting ,its all about self discipline ,having the ability to change up or down as the target presents itself, keeping your head in the game from target "one" till the "end"

just keep practicing guy ,it'll all come together , just remember one thing ,

keep positive, and dont slag yourself off if you miss a few easy birds, think of it this way ,if you had an instructor and you missed, would he slag you off ?? NO .

good luck

Martin

:rolleyes:<_< Well I think I sorted the problem out on my shooting. Went up to my dealer this morning took one of his 2nd hand Beretta's 682 30" M/c adjustable stock up to his skeet range, shot off 50 birds and took about 60/65% of them. Big difference from 15% with my old 687.

Needless to say I bought the 682 and she is tucked up in my safe tonight.

Its amazine the difference a wee bit of shown rib makes,

My dealer was saying his gun smithy was saying that 1mm change in the line of the gun stock can mean 9" at 30/5yrds :rolleyes:

Can't wait to get back out <_<