Ferrets

TomV

Thanks lads for your replies! I bought a litter tray for them to do their business in so it can be cleaned out easily. However, the little ******* keep moving the tray and I suspect they are reverting to goin to the toilet in the corner of the hutch again! any ideas?

What is the best method for stopping ferrets biting?

I'm assuming they are young, rehabilitating an older ferret that has become a seasoned biter takes a lot of blood and tears (literally).

Frequent handling with plenty of fuss and stroking.

If they bite then usually a little "Aah!" will discourage them (if they are young) followed up with a little squeeze on the paw if they don't release (not hard, don't want to injure them - but enough for them to notice).

Also if they latch onto a finger, try and push back into their mouth so it's uncomfortable for them (don't make them gag though). Usually they will try and let go or re-adjust their grip at which point you can remove you finger.

As for the litter box, make sure it's got a low front so they can back up into it or they will just poo against it. Secure it into the corner with a screw and a "keyhole" on the box (like the back of speakers).

Edited by Tug

I know what your going through, Ive been on a bit of a ferret learning curve myself of late, got myself 2 albino hobs and they were bloody vicious to be honest, but they have came out the other side fine and are soft as anything now, the best advice I got was not to hesistate when picking them up for a start, and then when they bite, tap em on the nose followed by a firm NO! and the handleing after they have eaten, as someone said earlyier helps to, Im no expert, this is all advice I got from people on here and mine had stoped biteing within a week...... :good:

i got a hob which was about 12 months old and had not been handled much. an old bloke down our road told me to flick um on the nose when they bite.If they still carry on put some lemon juice on your hand, and they soon learn .Try and handle them every day talk to um ,this hob was aright nasty ****** but now my kids pick him up and hes as soft as a brush .Keep at it :blink:

I must say both ferrets seem to be a lot calmer now, neither have bitten once all weekend!

As recommended by various people, I've handled them each day and I think one of the best things you can do is not to hesitate when picking them up and let them smell your hand first!

Im hoping to take the eldest one out rabbiting next weekend!