Sonic Valve Custom Sound Reduction Issue

Markio

I realise the 'what custom plug' has been one to death but this is specific.

How do the Emtec custom plugs compair to disposable cheap plugs in terms of noise reduction? Are they the same or do the so called valves still let a lot of noise through?

Here's a run down on history, it might put my question into perspective:

Went to local hearing centre to have moulds made for Emtec ear defenders. I was advised that the 'Sonic Valve Custom' ones would be more suitable for shooting and they also supply army types too. They have this intenal drum/valve to allow normal speech but block out the gun shot. After a brief chat i decided to go with her advice.

After 2 weeks i took delivery and tried them out on a rough shoot. Utter toss, the noise they let through i thought was incredibly high. Next day tried them at local clay shoot. Again, loud, even more so when someone else was shooting, to the point that i swear i could feel my ear drums jumping and on a few occasions had to step way back from the stand. They just simply don't lower the noise to a comfortable level, in fact not even close.

Sent them back and received some reworked ones. Same story, too loud. I can rule out poor moulds as if i lightly cover the outside of the valve they are great!

Now i'm currently waiting on a phone call back from the woman that advised me in the first instances as to the next step. I'm certainly not keeping this model.

What i don't want to do is demand the Emtec as replacements then find they are just as lacking in sound attenuation.

Look for the earplugs SNR. For good protection you need at least 30 SNR with gunshot noise. Its about 120dB at the unprotected ear, and anything over 90dB can cause permanent damage.

Many systems are only 22 or 24 SNR, and you risk tinnitus or noise induced hearing loss.

Mechanical valve systems are unlikely to give enough SNR in shooting situations. Muffs or Solid plugs are better. The cheapest throw away foam plugs give very high SNRs, up to 36 if fitted correctly.

Best of all will be to get moulded silicone plugs made for your ears.

Edited by clayman

As clayman says the mechanical ones are poop. I have now tried just about everything and hope that Santa will bring me some of the moulded electronic / active ones for Xmas.

The problem with these sort of things is that along the way I have bought all manner of passive ear defenders (in ear plugs, over ear defenders) and even a couple of pairs of active over ear defenders - the peltor sportak ones were probably the best of that bunch but still got in the way of my gun mount.

The aggregate cost of all of the above and dabbling in hearing protection could have bought me at least one pair of the top of the range in ear moulded active jobbies.

I have two pairs of Green leopard in ear moulded type plugs and I have to say they are excellent. One pair is solid silicone and the other have the sonic valves in them.

I cannot hear people talking at all with the solid ones and the sonic valve pair aren't a great deal better. However they do work well at reducing the gun shot.

Im a helicopter engineer, and now use the Emtec noisebreakers for work. Compared to normal plugs they are almost as good as wearing ear defenders. I have the ones with the sonic valve in to hear people talking, normally pilots complaining their seats are uncomfortable or the auto pilot has stopped working.

They aint cheap but I think they are worth the money. If I was ordering another pair, I would take the option to have a piece of cord between the two so you can hang them round your neck when they are not worn in your ears.

Well thats put me right off having a fit for them, I had already had an email telling where to get a fit, I tried those ear bugs things from the RFD like little Xmas trees..absolute cack, fitted pants let a lot of noise though, think I will save for a pair of Digital Peltors, then I suppose theres the back of the ear to think about as well ?

Edited by Slug

Does it take batteries?

Answer, no = mechanical

Bad wording on my part mate. I mean to say: Did the Emtec have ANY sort of valve, passive (mechanical) or are they in fact solid?

I have two pairs of Green leopard in ear moulded type plugs and I have to say they are excellent. One pair is solid silicone and the other have the sonic valves in them.

I cannot hear people talking at all with the solid ones and the sonic valve pair aren't a great deal better. However they do work well at reducing the gun shot.

You mean the ones with the valve DON'T let speech through? **** me the ones i have let everything through! I'm still gob smacked that during my call back to complain they tried to convince me they were any sort of ear protection at all.

Im a helicopter engineer, and now use the Emtec noisebreakers for work. Compared to normal plugs they are almost as good as wearing ear defenders. I have the ones with the sonic valve in to hear people talking, normally pilots complaining their seats are uncomfortable or the auto pilot has stopped working.

They aint cheap but I think they are worth the money. If I was ordering another pair, I would take the option to have a piece of cord between the two so you can hang them round your neck when they are not worn in your ears.

Gareth, as an Emtec user can you tell me about that little 'valve' looking thing in them? Is that a mechanical valve or are they just solid?

Well thats put me right off having a fit for them, I had already had an email telling where to get a fit, I tried those ear bugs things from the RFD like little Xmas trees..absolute cack, fitted pants let a lot of noise though, think I will save for a pair of Digital Peltors, then I suppose theres the back of the ear to think about as well ?

Which ones Slug? Emtec or Sonic Valve Custom? To be honest the day after having my ear moulds done i saw a guy with the Sonic Valve ones, he said they were great "You can still hear the gun crack but they deaden it sufficiently". Well i have no idea what he thinks is good hearing protection, it seems that he and the hearing centre i got mine from are happy that it deadens the sound more than not using them at all, for me that isn't good enough. I've never before used any hearing protection that gave such woeful results.

http://www.noisebreaker.co.uk/product%20info.html

There is all the info on them. It is like a small plastic filter that is passive ie no battery.

When I get back home again I will try them out when Im shooting and let you know, that wont be until start of November though. At the moment I use the small orangy/brown sonic plugs with the metal filter and shaped like xmas trees. Im kinda interested now to see how they compare to each other.

Edited by Gareth W

After using electronic ear defenders for the last few months, these, I tried a pair of Acu-Life Shooter's Aid Sonic 11 Ear Valves, "in ear" gadgets with valves. After two minutes at the first stand they were back in the packet and the electronic jobbbies were back on my ears. OK you may get sweaty ears after a while but at least they do what it says on the tin!

It does appear that these particular defenders are sold, re-badged, at an amazing range of prices, shop around! No connection to this vendor, just a satisfied customer.

Update:

The hearing centre and the supplier have agreed to replace these units with their 'filtered' (not valved) product instead. If they are no good they are more than happy to arrange a refund. Having spoken to both ACS and Emtec regarding their producys these filtered ACS ones sound much like the Emtec ones in terms of setup/performance. Pretty much block everything out and more so at high frequencies. The whole 'i can hear a butterfly **** at 100 meters' was a bonus but not something that was top of my list.

I've got nothing to loose other than time in trying them so hear goes.

Thanks for the input all, i'll update again in a few weeks.

Hi Markio,

I expect these to be in the same region as the puretone cens devices I use, expensive but very good , I can here a rabbit **** at 200 mtrs. :-)

but it cuts out the sound of the gun that kills it.

M.

edited after long lunch

Edited by MGMan