Ox mainspring.

vole

I have been offered a BSA Meteor but would like to up the power if possible for killing squirrels in the garden,ie 15 yards or so.Would an Ox mainspring be the answer or should i get the Airsporter Mk 1 the rfd has instead?Thanks guys.

what power is the meteor right now? because if its putting out 12ft you will have no problem if you hit them in the drain box :rolleyes:

Lew

why's that?? ^^^^^^

meteors are only 8ft/lb so might need a bit more power to kill anything humanely, i shot a pigeon with my old one and it drowned in the river rather than by being shot

hmm a well placed pellet at 2o yards would kill a pigeon and tree rats... not at the same time tho :rolleyes:

Lew

As well as a breach seal, you might want to consider a piston seal & a piston buffer washer (depending on the model).

The buffer washer in my old mark 4 had degraded to crud over the years.

A few quid more now on the internals means you won't have to do another major overhaul for years.

Also watch out for that spring! There's a surprising amount of pre-tension to get it in place, which is how it makes up the power on a physically small rifle with a short piston stroke.

The Meteor will do the job you have in mind. Well mine still does & I've had it for 33 years.

Got my Meteor.The dealer only wanted £20 for it so am delighted.The barrel needs a good clean but it seems to work.I think I will let Mr Squirrel have a freebie if there is one in the trap in the morning.It put a pellet a respectable depth into a paperback.I plan to get busy with all your info and get tuning the little feller the next weeks and only then will I shoot live stuff,apart from offing trapped squiddle.Its the same model i was bought in1976, £21. Ideal for my kid to learn on.Thanks guys :good:

Cant read the link as blocked by the NHS firewall.Will look tomorrow.Mark 4 eh? dont remember it being such a diddy gun.I love the way the bsa open sites look with the "bead" nestling nicely in the v. Or over my eyeball if you were the woodie/starling i used to pop.Taken the scope advice ta.may invest one day but new internals 1st methink. thanks chaps.