Hunting with 22.

Robc.22tactical

And sorry but im not sure wot i have asked that has got you lot fire up

Hi im new to all this so first let me say hello im intresteded in hunting the odd rabbit pidgeon and squirell im perfecty kitted out for the job i have a bsa ultra .22 tactical i believe a decent head shot is instant death and i have been to range a fair bit but i cant seem to find any permission in dunstable / luton area does anyone on here come from my area that could give advice help cheers guys

35 minutes pass, and because were not all sitting at our computers eager to answer your questions, your reply is

. Ok so kinda guessing no ones intestead cheers helpful lot here

we are in fact a helpful lot, but manners go a long way,

it's normal for a new member to post an introduction first post, and fill out their profile, you have to understand, your not the first person to ask such questions, with most people at work on a friday at half ten, you would expect to start getting replies after 5pm onwards, the fact that you start throwing your toys out of the pram within a short space of time, would make most members think "whats the point" of leaving a reply, or a helpfull one at that

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh **** this ask for a bit of advice and get mocked ? Narr allow this forum think ima go somewhere else but thank you to the guys for there decent answers ... How is anyone supposed to learn the right way of foin things nowa days .

nice one, close the door on the way out

Basically i need someone in my area to help me with the knowledge they have i dont even want to shoot with them on there permission just help with facts that the books complicate things like stalking and wot signs to look out for id happily walk around with them for a day with no gun just observing wot there doin as we all know seein something infront of you is easier to take in rather than reading page after page and forgetting half of it i have listened to the advice i have been given. The books comin in the post and have read most airgunning information on the basc website and as for the insurance i should get round to do that middle if the week its not as if im not tryin to learn.

have you heard the old saying, trying to run before you can walk

there's nothing wrong with being eager to learn, but so far you have shown us that if you don't get answers immediately, you fly off the handle, or if people try telling you, you have done something wrong, or the wrong way, you fly off the handle, try seeing it from our side,

And tbh Stubby if you would have given me advice i would have listend but to just come into the discussion now and start slating me off for being impatient ? I would have fort lots of members would have been on guess not aye and leaving **** like close the door ? How ****in rude are you seriously i have made my mind up on this forum now its ******** . Thanks to the guys with helpful post but this is gonna be the last post from me im not askin for help and being made to look stupid i fort i could learn alot from being on here with you experienced guys obvs you forgot you had to start somewere aswell but seems all the knowlege and experience has just made a load of gassed air heads ..........

i dont even want to shoot with them on there permission

id happily walk around with them for a day with no gun

you have to understand, people that have worked hard to find a shooting permission, are weary of taking a new unknown member out with them, even without a gun, especially those shooting in the area you live in, as it has happened in the past where people take out new members to show them the ropes, that new member then returns to that permission on their own or with their own friends, and either start asking the owner for permission by saying, so and so bought me here last week, or not asking for permission at all, but just start shooting, risking the original person from loosing that permission....

can you see, why members are not queuing up to take you under their wing

And tbh Stubby if you would have given me advice i would have listend but to just come into the discussion now and start slating me off for being impatient ? I would have fort lots of members would have been on guess not aye and leaving **** like close the door ? How ****in rude are you seriously i have made my mind up on this forum now its ******** . Thanks to the guys with helpful post but this is gonna be the last post from me im not askin for help and being made to look stupid i fort i could learn alot from being on here with you experienced guys obvs you forgot you had to start somewere aswell but seems all the knowlege and experience has just made a load of gassed air heads ..........

yup, I too started somewhere, but I had a different attitude than you, I respected all comments, good and bad, I didn't start swearing at members, I also took on board everything that was said and learnt from it,

as for us making you look stupid, you seem to be handling that perfectly all on your own

See this is wat im after abit of help im not sad enough to try and muscle in on someones permission as far as im concerned it would just be a day of walking watching and listening i have tried to get permission and kno that its hard and people work hard for them i wouldnt go back tho because of respect the person would have trusted me to go with them and taught me new skills even maybe a friendship out of it but i would rather put the effort in and find my own permissions as i think it would be more rewarding wen i do get to go out in the field because i would have learnt from people and put the work in finding a permission for myself see i can be a generally nice respectable guy but smart comments grind on me and yes i could have probably approached the site better but like the first sentence says " im new to this " so obvs im not gonna know striaght away but thank you stubby for explaining this to me hopefully you could enlighten me some more cheers

And i do respect the useful comments was on here last night and a young lad was quite helpful you ask him i was polite and respectful because i was always told give respect to get it so there fore if someones goin to be rude to me then expect a comment back like i said im only here for advice and learning and makin a few friends im not here for days out shooting or expecting people to jump around and invite to there permission

right, so first sort out insurance, either BASC or SACS (google it)

if you have a long garden, get your rifle set up, 30yds is a good distance to start

if you aint got a garden or one long enough, look for a rifle club in your area with a firing range

forget trying farms for permission, start looking at local garden centres, churches, large estate type houses, local businesses, horse riding stables, allotments, small holdings etc, feral pigeons and rats are a good place to start, you wouldn't want to put them in a pie, but classed as pests they can be shot all year round

Im doin the basc (21+) insurance monday or tuesday after work mate rifle is set to 20-25yds atm was the length of the range i was shooting and yeah im just waiting till i get insurance befor i go knocking again as by my luck they would say yes then. No because no insurance and i grateful of you writing this up for me its all i wanted a bit of help cheerd mate

Rob.22tactical, why don't you try taking a short step back and then think about starting again.

Maybe it would be a move in the right direction if you filled in some details on an "Introduction" post and tell us just a little about yourself, what you shoot, what level of shooting you are at now and where you would like to see your shooting taking you in maybe 6 months or a years time, and of course (roughly) where you live.

Why not give that a try and then maybe loose a bit of the attitude (And as has been advised some of the swearing before you get a warning from the moderators) and you might well find that there are more members on here that are willing to help and advise you than you could have imagined. You might even find one or two that are willing take you out with them and take you under their wing to try to teach you a little fieldcraft.

There are plenty of helpful members on here that have a lot of time for new members but new members really do need to start by helping them selves.

Give it a try and you might be pleasantly surprised because at the moment you don't really have much to loose!

Good luck!

You'll get on well here with that attitude mate. I would suggest you swap your springer in for a PCP if you seriously want to start knocking over a few pests. Get yourself some insurance, BASC, NGO, Countryside Alliance all offer insurance packages and quarterly magazines etc.

then I would update your profile and get a few posts under your belt, then ask nicely if someone could take you out to show you the ropes.

+1

These are a few genuine questions, not meant to cause any offence, merely to help illustrate the point on behalf of the people who have been on this board a while longer than you and I....

What perception do you think people have of you from your posts so far? Do you think that people would be queuing up to take out a chap with a new gun who gets het up and gobs off when someone posts something he doesn't agree with?

I'd be reluctant to take someone like that out as what would he do or say if we were in the field and I disagreed with the types of shots he was taking or if he displayed some dangerous gun handling? If someone flares up over an internet post then what would they be like if they had their muzzle awareness criticised?

I'm not suggesting for a minute you'd be dangerous or would flare up but it's worth noting that you're 20 posts into this forum and people will form a view purely based on what you post. The fact of the matter is that a quarter of them have been less than glowing posts.

If you're just looking for insurance then the CCC3 card or SACS is far cheaper than BASC. Save yourself £40 by looking at one of those routes.

But thing is no one is with me on this but say if you asked for help and people took the **** you would feel the same at the end of the day i mite seem like im bashful and arogant because im not at all i proberly would even talk out because id be listening and watching and tryin not to snap twigs under my feet and your all implying that people will take me out im not here for that just want to learn is there really a problem with education and knowledge i agree i may of gave off bad first impressions but that is why

I get what you're saying Rob, it's hard to come on somewhere new, especially where all people have to go on is a few words on the page. It would be a totally different conversation if you asked the same question to us sat round the table in the pub.

I understand you're not asking to be taken out, I was just using that as an example as to how people could perceive you based on your posts.

I didn't start shooting all that long ago and I just used Sporting Gun magazine, loads of different forums and YouTube to get an idea of what's what and I've asked my share of daft questions. Like I said before, far better to ask them here and have someone poke a bit of fun than make a mistake in the field and not know how to put it right.

If there are people in your local club then ask them about their experiences, I've picked up a lot of tips from the chaps in my club and then taken that out into the field.

Key points to remember...

1) Don't believe everything you read on the internet (especially this forum haha)

2) Shop around for your insurance - saving £40 means a bit more kit for you

3) Practice your shots until you're confident you can shoot as well as you think you can (that goes for all of us)