Decoying rooks ?

SNS

Guys, grateful for some advice - just been given another sizeable permission as 100s (and the farmer is right I've been tonight and seen at least 300) of rooks are damaging barley but also taking all the feed for the lambs.

I watched a couple of strong flight lines and shot a dozen or so flighting into a wood (and missed 3 times as many easily !). Am going to try flighting again tomorrow night but my question is - how do I decoy them when I've got a but more time at the weekend ? I've got pigeon decoys and a flapper and rotary - do these work for rooks ?

Many thanks in advance

SNS

I've heard of people putting black socks over there pigeon decoys. or you could make some of the bin bag decoys. just search on google for bin bag crow decoys. I've used them and the defiantly pull in the birds. or if you can get some corex plastic sheeting you can make some silhouette decoys from that. good luck :)

try making some of the bin bag decoys that others have been talking about on here, there is a video on you tube on how to make them but im afraid i not know how to attach it to here!!

I made a few myselfand im susrprised how well they actually work and there very light to carry (i've made 36 decoys!!!)

When you go to youtube simply type in How to make a crow rag decoy.

My problem is of all the bags we have tried none end up square after been cut in half so what type of rubbish bag should i get ...

Mine when cut in half and then opened out are oblong so what am i doing wrong...???????????

when I made mine I split the bag open to make it only 1 ply thick if you know what I mean. then I cut 17inch by 17inch squares. then used that to tie on the stick as on the video. I tried 16 inch by 16 in and 18x18 but found that 17x17 made the decoy the right size IMO.

hope this helps.

the bags I used were very thick bin bags

Guys, grateful for some advice - just been given another sizeable permission as 100s (and the farmer is right I've been tonight and seen at least 300) of rooks are damaging barley but also taking all the feed for the lambs.

I watched a couple of strong flight lines and shot a dozen or so flighting into a wood (and missed 3 times as many easily !). Am going to try flighting again tomorrow night but my question is - how do I decoy them when I've got a but more time at the weekend ? I've got pigeon decoys and a flapper and rotary - do these work for rooks ?

Many thanks in advance

SNS

Use the shot birds as decoys :yes: decoys are okay to get things going but you wont better real dead birds :yes: get some in the freezer for your next session :good: BB

Bb is correct however if your perm is only accessible on foot then carrying a load of dead birds along with all your other kit is heavy. 20 bin bag decoys fit in a side pouch of my small rucksack then if you shoot enough you can swap them with the decoys on cradles or chin sticks :)

Hi SNS, I my self have shot hundreds of rooks. A good way to decoy them over crops would be to use a rotary magnet. A few things you will need to know. First your rotary magnet will be turning to fast for rooks as its normally used for pigeon and thry like fast speeds.

you will need to get a speed controller, this you can get pretty much anywhere.

I use a remote control speed controller. You will need to slow the speed of your rotary so its just gently turning.

next, look for a patch of crop that has been badly affected by the birds where there is little crop remaning. Set your rotary up, just to the edge of the damaged crop with the wind direction blowing a cross the damaged area away from the rotary.

You want to be hiding in one of the tram lines that the farmer uses to spray the crop so you don't damage any and in a good position to shoot incomming birds.when you have shot a couple, place on the magnet on lowest speed just above the crop.

if like, you say, the rooks are still hitting the crop they should decoy over the damaged section toward the rotary to land. This is when should should be able to drop them on thier way in over the damaged area over the crop. Its a real killer and realy does work well.

Remember, don't be tempted to use your magnet at fast pigeon speed, as this is not natural for the black stuff and you will probably get very little in to shoot. Best of luck

when I made mine I split the bag open to make it only 1 ply thick if you know what I mean. then I cut 17inch by 17inch squares. then used that to tie on the stick as on the video. I tried 16 inch by 16 in and 18x18 but found that 17x17 made the decoy the right size IMO.

hope this helps.

the bags I used were very thick bin bags

Have some of them bags will give them a go thanks for that..