scratched barrell

pintail

cleaning the gun ive found a deep scratch about a half inch long and is 6'' down inside the barrell from the ejectors, ive tried cleaning with solvent as i thought it was a mark but its clearly got a deep scratch, dont know how it got there as i just use a bronze brush when cleaning,, can this be ground out or won't it make much difference in using the gun, the gun is a 4 year old miroku, any ideas on how to go about sorting the problem, cheers

Edited by pintail

can sometimes happen if there is grit on the shell or shot outside the wad. Best bet is a trip to a gunsmith (in all likelihood its cosmetic) the later miroku's are are chrome lined barrels so pretty tough, sure it isn't plastic fouling (common)

Edited by HDAV

yes i was told it might be plastic fouling and went and got some solvent cleaner and tried for ages scrubbing the barrell with a bronze brush, but it was still marked, i got a long pin and you can feel the scratch is deep, and not a surface mark, cheers.

The "scratch" does not appear to be in a straight line, which is odd.

Looking at the other markings - they look slightly similar - I think that a bronze brush, plenty of solvent and a cordless drill might shift the lot including your original scratch.

Failing that - fill the barrels with boiling water - blocking up the muzzle with a cloth and standing the barrels in the sink. Be careful, but that normally removes just about anything.