Silver Pigeon Problem - Action Jamming??

Highlandladdie

Hi all,

Had a bit of jip with my SP1 sporter the other day. I was shooting some DTL, after using both barrels I couldn't move the lever to open the gun it was locked solid! Luckily I HAD used both barrells however a firm dunt on the bottom of the stock eventually released it. Tried once more but this time I had only used 1 barrel. Same again, a firm dunt and she freed up.

While the gun was 'locked' , neither the safety or the barrel selector would move into position. They were both floating in no mans land neither here nor there. I though the first time that I had maybe moved the barrel selector myself and caused the jam. ie operator error. However, conscious of this I definitely didn't the second time.

I have tried the gun empty, ie firing one barrel, then a dunt on the heel. You can hear the inertia switch work and firing the second barrel no problem.

Carts used were Hull Super Fast 27gm. The gun is approximately 4 yrs old and has fired 3000 carts without a hitch before.

Any ideas, as it stands the gun is not safe to use. I would appreciate any first hand experience of this and the method used to over come the problem.

Rgds

The Laddie

I had something similar a couple of times when my SP was new. Gunsmith thought it was a problem with the cartridges slipping under the ejectors, ie a bad cartridge case. Hasn't happened since. Can't remember what cartridges I was using, but it's had plenty through it now with no further issues.

I had this with a brand new sp1 about 3yrs ago,,the barrel selector and safety switch were both getting jammed in the half way position after a shot...I managed to free it the first time it happened,,but the second time it jammed up with a live cart in the bottom barrel and unable to fire it ! it went back and was replaced with another new gun ! never a problem since !

If the action is the same as the eell diamond pigeon there is a small plate fitted for the American market as an extra safety device.one of my guns did what you describe I took it to gunsmiths and waited twenty minutes while he removed this part and been no problem since.the part is not necessary so in no way does its removal make the gun any less safe.atb

I had this with a brand new sp1 about 3yrs ago,,the barrel selector and safety switch were both getting jammed in the half way position after a shot...I managed to free it the first time it happened,,but the second time it jammed up with a live cart in the bottom barrel and unable to fire it ! it went back and was replaced with another new gun ! never a problem since !

I suspect mine is now out of warranty as it is 3yrs + now. GMK started the 10yr warranty after I had bought mine.

If the action is the same as the eell diamond pigeon there is a small plate fitted for the American market as an extra safety device.one of my guns did what you describe I took it to gunsmiths and waited twenty minutes while he removed this part and been no problem since.the part is not necessary so in no way does its removal make the gun any less safe.atb

Thanks for this. I will open here up and have a look. Maybe it is just some **** in there. Due to my geographic location there are not any gunsmiths around. It would be a ferry or a plane and a long drive to get to one.

Many thanks for the replies.

• 3 weeks later...