cartridge deflector / catcher!!

timmyra608

Hi Birdsallpl,

I Have 2 types now , that one and my fav is the Sony HDR-SR15, HD quality footage , colours are great , that still does not do it justice .

I have the GO PROs also , but the Head mount for those is central on the head , to the side with the sony and image not so great .I use the G P , mounted on a stake outside the hide these days .

Why do I record ?, I am aware that some folk don't like the idea of this and there are reasons which I shall come to in a Related post this evening , as the Joy of work awaits me now .

Teal goes down , using B 725. as I said the vid is in HD , its just a screen capture , snipping tool.

post-70158-0-86298500-1413794525_thumb.jpg

OK, I confess, it wasn't tonight! Or rather, it is tonight, but 4 days later. The photos from the summer weren't usable, so had to take some more.

Picatinny rail mounting, using a couple of sling mountings with the sling swivel replaced by a screw and flat nut.

The plate is 1.6mm duralumin, coated with Hammerite, baked on.

The catch bag is bike-grade goatskin on a dural frame, held on with a pair of 5mm screws and wing nuts.

SC01.jpg

As cases eject, they hit the angled plate at the point when they are facing backwards, and bounce downwards into the bag.

SC02.jpg

In case you're wondering about the sight picture, removing the swivel mountings means I can see through the rail mounts.

SC03.jpg

It mounts and dismounts in seconds, and dismantles in about 10 seconds...

SC04.jpg

And the plate fits inside the bag (I designed it that way). (Honest!)

SC05.jpg

Yes, it's a bit ugly, but it catches the cases, and holds about 18 before they start spilling.

It takes a bit of trial and error to get it mounted correctly - it seems sensitive to fore-and aft position, and this changes with different length and load cases. using 67mm cases, 32g loads have to be one notch further forward than with 28g loads.

Hope this is useful, and thanks for looking!

That's the trouble with all the designs,how to mount it without affecting sight picture. Has to be removeable quickly to reload then wick to re attach.

If it was easy the market would be flooded with them.

Beretta brought out the UGB Excel to try and combat this in clay shooting,spat the empties straight out the bottom of the action.

Just solved the problem. Re manufacture the receiver with the loading/ejection port and bolt on the bottom and the loading gate and mag tube entrance on the side where the bolt and chamber port sits now. Easy to reload in the side and spits carts out the bottom at your feet :good: ohh cack there is a fault the mag tube would have to mounted to the side also.

Figgy

I'm going to work on that one a bit more. My dog will pick them if I touch the case with my stick and tell him to, which is useful in hedge bottoms etc where I can't reach. Trouble is he's that daft he would probably retrieve the cartridge before the bird LOL

I just started by throwing fired cartridges for him to bring back, once this was sorted moved onto hiding them and letting him "hunt" them. He knows as soon as the flight is over its time for a game.