Hatsan AT44-10 .177....Any good??

Fabhui

Picked it up today and can't wait to give it a go...once I've done a bit more overtime to afford a pump for it! Ha ha

When I was buying it the RFD said for the money it's a great gun and out of all the brands of PCP air rifles he's sold it's only the hatsans that have never come back with leak issues.

He did show me that he'd filled it with air when it came in a month ago and it's still holding the same amount of air.

Now who can recommend me a pump as I don't want to go down the dive cylinder route?

If there where only £800 + pcp's available to the airgunning fraternity, imagine the restriction placed upon "our" sport .. the number of participants would demish greatly ... the loser ! ... "our" sport ..

Design and innovation is fine and desired. The UK has always excelled with quality low volume products. When volume enters into the matter, we at times fall short. Years ago a lot of the problem where down to under investment "failing to use up to date machinery, failing to replace cutting/milling tools, letting tolerances exceed their designed/required limits. The Japanese were the opposite. I remember being at the Rover factory 30 years ago. The Japanese overseeing one of the production lines at Cowley. Honda having some of their car assembled at the Cowley plant. Out side the Rover equivalent were being lined up for despatch .. not so the Honda's ... they were all sent to their Swindon factory, and each vehicle was correctly reassembled meticullously ... Honda's Swindon factory was the old "British Vickers factory" .. its now the Honda manufacturing plant ...

Rover stabbed Honda in the back. The British government flogged Rover to the Germans "BMW" .. if they didnt, the german government threatened to pull out the eurofighter project, and by a complete coincident, totally unrelated l'd guess !! - Rover was owned by the company that strangely was the British participant in the Eurofighter .. BRITISH AEROSPACE .... "BMW" wanted mini/land rover .. the rest, they really wasn't interested in.

At the Jaguar plant in 1978, they have two machines used daily to produce small component for their cars .. the machines had their dates of manufacture stamped on them. I seen the date ... 1898 .. thats not a tall tale, thats a fact ..

Where is this story going, if anywhere? ...

Well if the Germans in 2014 can produce a pcp, that currently has demonstrated reliability levels as good or better than British companies who produces pcp's suposedly in the same niche ...

The Walther R8 having the ability of British pcp's of at least equal to their British counter part that charge £100-250 more. Has quality control equal or very highly likely, in excess of the British offerings. The German company pay the workers at least the minumum wage in compliance to the EU rulings, though ld guess in excess of that rate. So wages costs can not be the contributing factor .. "old style British management" so love to fall back on that ridiculous excuse, to hide their inabilities.

If the British keep promoting, average as, good, if they say a certain pcp is an excellent piece of kit " .. when having bought new" its taken to bits, and refinished correctly and modified parts are fitted .. then its just like the Rover owners .. they had a blind and deaf loyalty following. Bought because in the 50's/60's they were a great car and were quality. (70's/80's) they were utter sheite, the workers and the management knew it, and they would tell you so to you're face, "when they got to know you" .. "l visited the factory, 3-4 times a year and the Land Rover factory at least twice a year" ..

And there in is the British pcp production problem .. to compete with Walther/Hatsan pcp's etc .. the British wont produce a pcp, that hasnt had every corner cut financially wise.

Walther/Hatsan and the likes offer a reasonable amount of everything .. not perfect; but an attractive amount .. some people say they're sheite, some people talk sheite !! ... as a package its well worth buying.

I see the Hatsan as the Peugeot 206 the Walther as the Volkswagon Polo and British pcp's circa £500 as the Metro city 1000 4 speed gearbox with a crash test rateing of 1 star ... you can only keep the flag waving for so long. It doesnt help supporting mediocrity. In fact it promotes the opposite, it doesnt push the companies to raise their game, and for them to beat the competition.

To draw in new buyers; because their products are so attractve price wise, and develope renowed reliability and quality. With 5 star service. To keep at a high quality level. Not to dip and lower a selected few component parts, regards quality level. In the hope of achieves a saving of 31p per pcp sold. They have to look at who they are fighting against, decide to wholeheartedly put up one hell of a scrap, or run away, its all or nothing. They have to be more German than the germans, more japanese than the japs, and as bent and underhanded as the chinese and the yanks .. commerce has no prisoners of war .. there are loads of industrial war crimes graves, and they are full of ****** british industry.

Dont praise british pcp's that need fettling, then automatically incurr void warranties because of unautherised tampering and modifications.

Post their fault, complain to the manufacturers, tell them you will, ever so reluctantly change allegience to overseas manufacturers .. Blind loyalty only kept many of the famous car makes afloat. Had they modernised and invested" many a famous car manufactuer might still be with us today..

The gun industry went the way of the bicycles industry, world renowned, now a token brand name trading enterprise.

Yep, you have the big names left, Rolls Royce/Bentley/Jaguar/Land Rover ..... Daystate/Theoben/BSA/Webley ... can you see a common theme here ? ... all foreign owned .. every pound taken by these foreign owned companies overseas ..is the whole pound! .. a pound that remain in the UK, only has to be spent 5 times and it has 100% vat (that pound has recirculated within the UK .. overseas, it gone ...

Well l can sell and reading about pcp an their price vs ability is a joke .. The Turks have made guns for a lobg time and offer sone great, lower end gun .. lve not a problem if this post is pulled to shreds ... its what public forums are all about .. here end'eth the lecture ;)). ... atb

I thoroughly agree hoggy! I have a Hatsan 60S in my collection still. It is a great gun! Walnut stock, LW barrel, lovely smooth 2 stage trigger, auto safety, anti bear trap and all from a gun that cost less than £100 when new and a BSA was the thick end of £300 with **** trigger, awful looking beech stock, a barrel made on an overused mandrel that would not group (I did test a Lightning) and a god awful firing cycle that was more snappy than a pensioner's poodle!

In the end we paid £160 for a Hatsan 60S TG GR, the important bit there is the GR). One taken by Edgar Brothers to AWT Bedford, who replaced the Powerlok spring with a lovely smooth gas ram that puts out 11.3 ft lb constantly using Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums. It is a lovely gun, well made, nicely blued, no sharp edges.

When a neighbour of ours who we owed a favour too (he moved my mother's wall out of the road when the wind blew it over, she did not secure the gates when she went shopping in a gale and the whole lot went over) bought a BSA break barrel off of a friend (some friend rusting gun, no sights, wobbly barrel, some 1960s piece of carp - anagram - that our neighbour was stung the thick end of £80 for) to stop pigeons attacking his veg patch. We stepped in to save his fingers. We bought a 60S for £90, put an old scope we had lying around on it and he was off enjoying a new hobby. He regularly goes to a nearby range for an afternoons plinking. The gun is now a couple of years old and still looks like new!

Edited by secretagentmole

hoggy you must of been bored stiff lol,,

lets be honest about some things, the Hatsan AT44 is a low budget gun and I have to be honest a very good low budget gun so is the walther R8, I was very impressed with the Rotex and its build quality but like many other rifles they have been on the block for 5mins and it wont be long before we start hearing about their problems,

do they have any faults ? sure they do and I,m sure we will hear about them in time but we have to remember they are budget air rifles and there is a reason for that,

these rifles just because they have walther barrels do not become super shooters overnight,they might do in time but compared to the high end rifles out there they are basically cheap, but these company,s have realised that if you stick a decent barrel on then it will shoot pretty straight and so it should,

one thing I will say is they certainly perform well and no one can complain about that but will they take the rigours of everyday bashing we will have to wait and see.We will no doubt get the hatsan and rotex haters soon but to be honest for the money who can complain,,they are both a cracking rifle, both shoot well and both are excellent value for money but the big question is will we be saying this in 10 years time ?

with regards the car manufacturers of this country well that was destroyed by Liebour and its strikes in the 70,s but that's another matter,

would I like to own either the Hatsan At44 or the rotex probably not but if I found a Rotex R8 in .177 and going for a good price then maybe I might but since buying the Daystates I own well I,ve been spoilt

atb Evo

Evo the AT has been around a lot longer than 5 minutes. I had one as my first PCP over 3 years ago! Still not heard any problems other than rough castings on magazines which is easily sorted with a bit of wet and dry.

As for the problem cycle, anybody remember the abomination that was the R10 mk 1 with sticky indexing collapsing regulators and a whole host of other problems?

Daystate have been beset by wails of woe from Regal owners whose guns were not even making 7ft lb in power!

Why not have a budget gun for when the weather is bad and you don't want to take the precious Princess Daystate out? At £399 a Rotex is exceptional value. You have to remember it has a Minelli stock and the LW barrel. It may be cheap but it is good. After the festivities mine will be given a full string through the Combro and the results will be published. It will then get accuracy tested off the rest. Then hunting time!

Evo the AT has been around a lot longer than 5 minutes. I had one as my first PCP over 3 years ago! Still not heard any problems other than rough castings on magazines which is easily sorted with a bit of wet and dry.

As for the problem cycle, anybody remember the abomination that was the R10 mk 1 with sticky indexing collapsing regulators and a whole host of other problems?

Daystate have been beset by wails of woe from Regal owners whose guns were not even making 7ft lb in power!

Why not have a budget gun for when the weather is bad and you don't want to take the precious Princess Daystate out? At £399 a Rotex is exceptional value. You have to remember it has a Minelli stock and the LW barrel. It may be cheap but it is good. After the festivities mine will be given a full string through the Combro and the results will be published. It will then get accuracy tested off the rest. Then hunting time!

have to agree Mole , my shooting bud hoggsreels got the Rotex in .22, we tested it out over the chrono and zero,d it in in my garden to 40yrds, certainly accurate and a cracking rifle, if it wasn,t for my love of Daystates I would probably own one,The only problem I found with it was when shouldering it,,it wanted to drop at the front due to it being a little front heavy where balance was concerned,my other buddy ordered the rotex in .177 waited nearly three months and it still didn,t arrive, not really a good introduction,he cancelled the order in the end.

have to say judging by the look and feel of the rifle I think it wil be around to last,,

funny thing about the daystate regal is its basically a huntsman classic in a jazzed up stock,if you look at the early regals they even have huntsman classic on the breech ,

with regards taking my daystates out in the rain well that doesn,t bother me as I bought mine to use for pest control and NOT to just polish and look at, I don't care what the weather is like but I must admit I do prefer to shoot when its dry even though my deerhunter camo is waterproof and I have 3 different suits to suit all the seasons, I also think shooting in the dry is also an advantage due to more bunnies being out lol

atb Evo

Evo I have a Daystate (mk 3), a Hatsan 60 S (Edgar Brothers gas ram conversion), the JB tuned BSA Super 10, a Rapid mk 1 and now a Walther as well!

I just dont like taking that beautiful walnut thumbhole stock Mk 3 out in the rain!

I don't like taking ANY of my guns out in the rain, especially the wooden stocks, and if there is a way round it I will try to avoid it.

But needs must, and mine are working tools, I don't always have the luxury of choice.

:good:

Evo I have a Daystate (mk 3), a Hatsan 60 S (Edgar Brothers gas ram conversion), the JB tuned BSA Super 10, a Rapid mk 1 and now a Walther as well!

I just dont like taking that beautiful walnut thumbhole stock Mk 3 out in the rain!

I cant blame you mate,i don't like any of mine being in the rain but sometimes I can be out when its dry then the rain appears and I cant pack in and go home as I have a job to do which is rid the land of pests, don't like doing it but as Dekers said "needs must"

anyway all the best to all

cheers Evo