Misshapen pellets?

chrisjpainter

I just had a couple of hours punching paper and overheard two chaps talking about misshapen pellets. One chaps theory was that because .177 pellet skirts are so soft, bent pellet skirts actually reshape when fired because of the pressure being exerted on them. They leave the barrel in a better shape than when they went in.

Anyone else know if this is the case/possible?

I had several tins of JSB pellets (JSB and Air Arms) that were mis shapen beyond belief. Went over to Prometheus Defiants in the X2 as the JSB ones were too bad to put in the magazine (different gun shops and different batches before anybody comments). The Defiants never deformed and were hellishly accurate in that gun. I then swapped to Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums when I got the S10!

I am only using JSB pellets now as I got about six tins when I bought the Mk 3 and I must admit these are nothing like as bad as those batches 3 years ago but some are still so bad I wont use them!

I had several tins of JSB pellets (JSB and Air Arms) that were mis shapen beyond belief. Went over to Prometheus Defiants in the X2 as the JSB ones were too bad to put in the magazine (different gun shops and different batches before anybody comments). The Defiants never deformed and were hellishly accurate in that gun. I then swapped to Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums when I got the S10!

I am only using JSB pellets now as I got about six tins when I bought the Mk 3 and I must admit these are nothing like as bad as those batches 3 years ago but some are still so bad I wont use them!

I just knew you would come in on this one!

You had a bad few tins of JSB/AA pellets, my PS has had a constant diet of AA Fields from the same RFD, now over 200 tins and never had a tin yet that have been bad. If they were I'd return them!

I tried defiants, they were awful!

I just knew you would come in on this one!

You had a bad few tins of JSB/AA pellets, my PS has had a constant diet of AA Fields from the same RFD, now over 200 tins and never had a tin yet that have been bad. If they were I'd return them!

I tried defiants, they were awful!

Its because he is after a Crosman deal to run along side his Hatsan one :lol:

Yeah I've never noticed a problem with the accuracy with bent skirts, but I just wondered whether this guy was right and that this was because they are less bent by the time they've left the barrel. Apparently it doesn't work with .22 but if people haven't notice bent skirt issues with their heavier cal. guns, then I guess it's just another air rifle old wives' tale!

can I detect sarcastic comments flying about ???or is it pigs ???

chris, a good thing with todays popular NEW rifles are MOST now have choked barrels , which helps mate

If this is a critique of me dear sire I will instruct the flying pigs to circle over thine bonce after they have been fed Vindaloo curry!

My Super 10 has indeed been Bowkett tuned and as normal he has tested it with many different pellet types at 50 metres. Ogives were the best grouping by quite a margin beating even my previous favourites (Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums) by a good 10-15% in reduction in group size!

Flying pigs indeed, this is Pigeon Watch not a Pink Floyd concert!

Edited by secretagentmole