Tyre insurance

Will Poon

Edited to add. How is is a tyre. £50, £75, maybe £175?

How many punctures have you had in the last year?

How much is a puncture repair, £10-£15?

It's a business and it's there to make money out of your insecurities, like all insurance.

Home insurance - essential.

Car/Bike/Tractor insurance - legally required and worthwhile

Liability insurance - advisable if not legally required (in business usually is)

Tyre insurance, GAP insurance, PPI, all a load of guff.

if you buy tyres from somewhere that offers this sort of deal you can be guaranteed that the mark up they have will more than cover any costs they are likely to incur over deals like this, if they gave it on mich off roaders and I did a lot of off roading it may make a difference but on a road car, its ********

A work colleague got a flat on his new 5 series which has run flats. Every chain tyre fitter said it was impossible to repair a run flat tyre and that he would need a new one at £300+

He took his car to a large independent and got it repaired for a score.

As above, unless you think you are going to get punctures that are on the wall of the tyre making a repair impossible then don't bother with insurance.

On the other hand, if you get a lease car and tick the with maintenance box that normally includes tyres and means you can drive it like it's stolen and not worry about expensive tyre changes when the outside shoulder of the tyres go after 8000 miles.

A work colleague got a flat on his new 5 series which has run flats. Every chain tyre fitter said it was impossible to repair a run flat tyre and that he would need a new one at £300+

He took his car to a large independent and got it repaired for a score.

As above, unless you think you are going to get punctures that are on the wall of the tyre making a repair impossible then don't bother with insurance.

On the other hand, if you get a lease car and tick the with maintenance box that normally includes tyres and means you can drive it like it's stolen and not worry about expensive tyre changes when the outside shoulder of the tyres go after 8000 miles.

absolute no no, run flats should not under any circumstances be repaired, the side wall is so stiff there is no way of telling if there is any carcass damage, pretty sure that if there was any accident and it was found to be caused (or they could pin any blame) by a repaired run flat the garage WOULD end up in court

Can Run Flat tyres be repaired?

In line with most leading tyre retailers, National Tyres will not repair a run flat tyre following a puncture. Most manufacturers advise against repairing run flat tyres. If the deflated tyre has been driven on, it could have compromised its strength, and it is impossible for a fitter to know if the tyre was driven on for longer/faster than recommended after a puncture. For a brand specific answer you can contact the manufacturers below, but generally it will be hard to find a retailer who will be willing to repair a run flat tyre.

absolute no no, run flats should not under any circumstances be repaired, the side wall is so stiff there is no way of telling if there is any carcass damage, pretty sure that if there was any accident and it was found to be caused (or they could pin any blame) by a repaired run flat the garage WOULD end up in court

I just Googled it

http://www.car-tyres.org.uk/articles/run_flat_tyre_repairs.asp

Apparently some of the manufacturers are now saying you can repair run flats.

That's quite an interesting site.

Depends on the vehicle and price of tyres I suppose but Ive took tyre insurance on my previous 2 cars and just took it out on my RR sport and the price of the tyre insurance is roughly the price of 1 tyre so I would take it out every time, the latest deal also covers up to 6 repairs on the alloys over a 2yr period and the way my wife rubs along the kerbs I def need it.