A walk in the tram lines

Harnser

I have noticed pigeons dropping in the tram lines on a 40 acre field of rape . Today I decided to have a walk along the tram lines and see if I could shoot a few for the freezer . The rape is well up and is about 5 feet tall with the flower dropping off and it is podding up nicely .

I walked into the middle of the field along the tram lines and sat under a big old oak tree that is more or less in the middle of the field . The birds had been flying into the oak and then dropping into the traml lines for a feed .

I had no decoys or nets ,just my gun ,flask and a bag of shells . I sat under the oak and waited . After about 10 minutes the first bird came to the tree and presented a perfect shot ,I dropped it dead no more than 10 feet from me . I set this bird up on top of the rape and sat down and waited . No more than a couple minutes later another bird came on the same line and I killed it clean just in front of me . I set this one up on top of the rape and sat down again . The next one I missed clean with both barrels . I managed to reload and another came for the tree and I killed it clean ,this one was also set up on top of the rape .i carried on shooting and managed to finally shoot 18 pigeons . I picked 16 and lost 2 in the rape .

A fabulous couple of hours sport and a nice sit in country side . The rape can be shot with just a little bit of for thought .

Guest Wilksy

Good work harnser! How did you last them up on top of the rape please I might have a go at this tomorrow, I went for a wander last night in one of my rape fields and spooked two roe deer scared the **** out of me! Nice to see though!

Good work harnser! How did you last them up on top of the rape please I might have a go at this tomorrow, I went for a wander last night in one of my rape fields and spooked two roe deer scared the **** out of me! Nice to see though!

I spread the wings out to give them support and just laid them on top of the rape . They will lay there on top if you if you are careful . Shell decoys will lay on top of the rape as well .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

Guest Wilksy

Had a go today but more hedge bottom than tree, very slow not much movement at all, the first one I shot I couldn't find and ended up covered in pollen so I gave it up as a bad job, but it's nice not having to faff with hides and such, ended the day with four jackdaws three woodies and a rabbit!