Red LED

wymberley

Just had a bit of a do.

A strip in one field had just been re-seeded following the laying of a cable and before letting the stock in the farmer wanted a couple of rabbits that were digging in it sorted while it was just a couple. The first went down in daylight but I had real trouble seeing the second one in the dark which was further away with the red LED which was on mid power. I then saw something with the NV monocular at the nearest of the two and grabbed the rifle but simply couldn't see it. The red on the bare soil seems to produce a 'whiteout' if you see what I mean. I looked again with the NV and that one rabbit had gone. Tried playing with the torch but to no avail everything was just a glare but fine at longer range on the grass. Decided to change the red for a yellow. Before lighting it up I checked the area again with the NV - the second rabbit had gone. Quickly checked the lamp was still aligned. Didn't have to wait more than a few minutes when the culprit, a fox, was back looking for a third helping. It got one.

Couldn't believe how the brown earth and the red LED inter-reacted. Has anyone else experienced this or is it just my old eyes?