Confession time - I'm a spanner.

chrisjpainter

Today I got round to pellet testing the S510 I picked up. I had a great selection from a chap off the airgunforum and set to testing. I'd swapped the scopes over from my Wolverine - they're both the same, but I wanted to hang onto my original one. Straight away it grouped brilliantly with JSB exacts shooting high of zero, but one hole groups. nothing grouped as well, so I returned to JSB exacts. now though, they're grouping well south, despite the pressure being good.

I couldn't work out what was happening. some groups high, some groups low after each magazine, until I was out of test pellets and air. to fill the gun I hold it barrel up and as i did that, I heard a little tap noise from the magazine. A quick glance didn't reveal a problem, so I filled it up and turned the gun barrel down to walk away. 'Tap' from the magazine. Turn it Barrel up? Tap. What the? oh...

The moral of the story is, when putting a scope on a rail TIGHTEN THE MOUNT SCREWS UP! The scope in its mounts was sliding merrily up and down the rail, until it hit the magazine, making a tapping noise as it hit. This was of course completely screwing up the impact points!

Time to get some more pellet packs...and a dunce's hat.

anyone else been an idiot recently?

Did it once with my new .22LR went out with a friend on our shared permission and he had his R10 MK2. We set a couple of empty LR boxes at 60 yards. I was in a confident mood and was waaay off with my shooting no rounds connecting at all. My smug mate was merrily hitting the boxes once he had his holdover sorted.

I was gutted new gun and all was it me, was it the ammo then I looked at the moderator and it wasnt screwed on fully.........

Did it once with my new .22LR went out with a friend on our shared permission and he had his R10 MK2. We set a couple of empty LR boxes at 60 yards. I was in a confident mood and was waaay off with my shooting no rounds connecting at all. My smug mate was merrily hitting the boxes once he had his holdover sorted.

I was gutted new gun and all was it me, was it the ammo then I looked at the moderator and it wasnt screwed on fully.........

Glad i'm not the only one!!

Are you downwind of the Wychwood Brewery?-just wondering :rolleyes:

haha! I wish. No such excuse alas. just stupidity

Ok, I'll bite...

I took an Air Arms S200 apart and gave it an overhaul. Once it was set I put the thing back together and tried to zero it. No matter how much I dialled down the elevation I was still 5cm high at 30m - I just couldn't get rounds on target. I shimmed the scope up in the mounts with layers of electrical tape but then struggled to get the mount tightened properly. I was terrified that I had somehow upped the power by dismantling it.

I lamented my problems on an internet forum and some kind soul pointed out I had the mounts on the wrong way (turns out one is higher than the other) and I was fighting gravity. Two minutes with an hex key sorted the problem.

Every day is a school day and all that.