Archie coats

Imperator SKB

I met Major Coats in about 1984 when I was on a Gamekeeping course in Fordingbridge. All I remember was that he was a real gent, even having time for a young lad (me) learning the ropes and asking stupid questions.

I couldn't quite work out what a "de-coy" was until later the penny dropped!

Edited by Tomo-1

I have the video of Archie and Jackie somewhere but no video player to watch it on now! I had an original 1960's signed copy of Pigeon Shooting but as usual, a 'friend' failed to return it once read but I do have a 1970's copy......absolutely spot on in its day. My copy of Archie's hide poles are languishing in the garage due to the weight, 35 years on they are still as good as new. I corresponded with Archie when I was setting up my Gamedealer business and always found him a proper gent, in the same school as Richard Walker of angling fame.

The world has moved on from Archie's day, so many changes in the countryside and land usage by other 'recreational' groups that have put pressure on our own activities, but several things still ring true from his writing. The first is his mantra of reconnaissance, reconnaissance, reconnaissance. Watching at different times of the day, watching which way the wind is blowing that effects the birds when they leave their home wood and watching the birds behavior when they approach the field. Like many other pigeon shooters, I spend more time looking than shooting!

His second was his thoughts of ''Think like a pigeon'', as in, where would you prefer to feed in a strong, cold wind? What food will give the best return for energy spent and where is a quite spot away from disturbance.

There are now many more pigeon shooters about than in his day, and as his book was the first real 'how to' instruction to a successful day, he helped instigate this! Now there are not many farms that I shoot over that do not have other shooters looking to shoot pigeon there, many setting up in the hope of a few birds rather than wait for them to build up, with the right wind direction to make a decent bag.

For me, Archie Coats, the Major, will always be the original pigeon shooter.

An excellent video. You can buy the whole series of 'Jack's Game' on DVD.

The Grouse moor featured in the programme was on the Lancs./Yorks borders. I shot there on a few occasions, before the 'Jacks Game' series was made. I can recall grouse coming back onto the moor, whilst pickers up were collecting birds from the previous drive. It was only a small moor and bags rarely exceeded 100 but it holds some very happy memories. I later met Jack Charlton when picking up behind him on a small Pheasant shoot, we had a good natter about that moor.