20 bore, 30" or 32" barrels

matty*

I am interested in why people think a longer barrel than 28 or 30 inch would be better for high birds, I would think the extra time in the barrel would be insignificant to the velocity

It's the smoothness of the swing particularly in a relatively light gun such as a 20 gauge. Personally 30 is plenty for me or even 28 for a general knock about gun.

Apparently all the top shooters use 32",

what do you mean by top shooters? If you are referring to clay shooters then that may be true but they also prefer 12 and not 20. Most game shooters will use 28 or 30 and it is not so much the length of the barrel that makes it easier to swing but the weight and balance of the whole gun. A good gunsmith will fit the gun not only so it is long enough but also so it swings well. They can not add weight to the barrel but they can add or take away weight to the stock to help balance the gun. It is true that most people do not need this level of refinement but I have two disabled clients who shoot and for both it was not the length of barrel or stock that was the issue but getting the gun balanced so they could swing it better.

It's the smoothness of the swing particularly in a relatively light gun such as a 20 gauge. Personally 30 is plenty for me or even 28 for a general knock about gun.

For clays i could possibly understand that but for high birds, I find it hard to understand

Top shooters are normally sponsored by a gun maker and use whatever the maker wants to push on sales, they could all shoot just as well with basic guns as long as they fitted the same and had a while to adjust

Edited by ChrisAsh

Im choosing a 20 over a 12 because for me its a more enjoyable gun to use on a day, i have my auto for everything else that i need to do. Yes i think i may try both, im looking at the cesar guerini magnus jaspe on the tempio, you seem to get alot of gun for your money.

Anyone have any information on them?

hi matty i shoot a tempio light in a 12 bore with 30" barrels its as light if not lighter than most 20 bores

i love it and you dont have to worry about picking up the wrong cartridge bag (seen it done more than once)

my son has a magnus standard weight 12 bore and as you say YOU GET A LOT OF GUN FOR YOUR MONEY

the wood is top class the the wood/action fit is out of this world

before i got the tempio i was looking at the bretta ultra light or the light wieght browning

neither of them could touch the CG the nearest thing you can compare it with for wood and finish would proberly be a EELL

Edited by wabbit warren