204 ruger

colin lad

I wonder how many folk realise how much energy these rounds carry out to say 600 yards. That's way way further than 99% of shooters will take a shot at live quarry. Even a feeble little air rifle chucking a 15 grain bullet out at 600 fps has enough knockdown energy at 60 yards to kill a rabbit if shot placement is good, and probably a little further too.

And folk are thinking about whether a bullet shifting at 3500 fps with an energy of 1300 ft-lb is enough because it comes out a different size muzzle.

Nah course it ain't lol,,,, get whatever you fancy, they will all put the lights out,,,, if you can hit the spot of course. Fail that bit and you may as well get a blow pipe.

This, I get some good mannered banter for using a 25-06 on deer, whilst my shooting buddies use far larger calibers, goes quiet once we start talking BC.

It will be a night time fox gun but if a rabbit gets in the way then more fool the rabbit

Colin

they will only do it once thy they will be fox soup

Im just trying to decide on where and what for as well now colin. the 17 rem is calling but the .204 might just pip it. depends on the action i find for the build

Congrats Colin.

204 is a cracking round and great choice for night shooting of fox.

However, there are way too many urban myths about calibres when the truth is at night, not many people, in the dark will take anything past 250 yards, at least not routinely.

Lets look at the drop figures for a 40g V-max in 204 V's 223 both zeroed to 200 yds:

.223 Rem: .204 Ruger

Range Velocity Drop Velocity Drop

0 3800 1.5 3900 1.5

100 3249 0.9 3482 0.7

200 2762 0 3103 0

300 2324 -5.5 2755 -4.3

The truth is, to 300 yards, there's nothing in it when comparing a 40 grain pill used in each calibre, bar 1.2 inch difference in drop. You can give a little hold over, gun goes bang, fox is dead either way. One has very little real world advantage over the other

Take your pick. Both are good, both are negligible recoil, both can be effectively moderated. It's only when you go to more extended range that the poorer BC of the 223 starts to lose out, but would you really want or consider shooting a fox with a 204 using such a light round at, say 400 or 500 yards? I wouldn't. In the dark there's no real advantage once you have to start thinking about dialling or ballistic rets (which work as well for 223 as they do for 204) once out past 300 yards.

Having said all that, the 204 would be my choice over the 17 Rem. 17's suffer more from poor BC, shed velocity fast and are more susceptible to wind drift. 204 or .223 are both cracking good calibres.

Edited by Savhmr

did you run it in ?? think i shall take a day out and just give it a gentle run in

colin

Not as such, just kept running 20 shots through at a session , reloading the cases and going at it again,

Took a while to get used to, the hmr likes being rested on the wing mirror, the mini likes the bipod and a rear rest,

55gn bullets and a case filled to the neck with varget

• 2 weeks later...

well picked up the 204 yesterday so today pick up some rounds to run it in and made a few home loads up for after, so shoot one clean shoot one clean for 5 then 5 groups of 3 with a clean in between, then 5 shop brought rounds to dirty it then 3 groups of home loads at 100 yards and had all 3 groups of 3 touching so more than happy with that and that was the 1st recipe, after shooting them took a look and thought that was more than good enough for vermin shooting funny how when you get home and start thinking you straight away start thinking what can you do to better them lol,

as others have said it's a cracking round and glad i went for it

colin

Edited by colin lad