Which 101 do I have

2muchlead

Hi guys this is my first thread so apologies if I have posted in the wrong place.

I have been given a Winchester 101 12 gauge and there is a Pigeon engraved under the action and its a 30 inch over and under with 5 chokes in truly immaculate condition with a highly grained dark walnut stock .My question is this :How can I tell if its a sporter or a trap gun unless I pattern it on a pattern plate- did Winchester make a multichoke trap gun?? the reason for asking is that when I bring the gun to my shoulder I can see a fair bit of rib unless I really bury my face in the comb its the only way I can see the figure of 8 of front and middle sights..many thanks for any replies.

I think it is a 101.pigeon grade. They made a lot of different versions .i have the 400 which is a 101 .

They is not a lot of info out there re the Winchester 101.look on web page stevespages and find the Winchester 101 manual it tells you what versions there is .they are not bad guns does the serial number start with K ----------- .if so it was made in Japan i belive they stopped making then in the mid 80s early 90s in Japan .but sure they are made in Belgium by fn

Edited by Guest

I don't think they were standard from the factory .must have been done by who ever owned it in the past .

I thought they were all fixed chokes of different sizes

Edited by Guest

I believe Winchester was the first manufacturer to provide multi choked guns and some 101s were factory fitted with winchokes.

The more recent 101 is indeed made by FN in Belgium and is sold here as the Select - nothing like the original and has a Beretta style lockup and shallow action.

Edited by Brodie

I don't think they were standard from the factory .must have been done by who ever owned it in the past .

I thought they were all fixed chokes of different sizes

I just don't know but this one is fitted with 5 teague chokes and was given to me and its unmarked so I'm not complaining

A field/sporter 101 has usually around 2 &1/2" drop at heel

Whereas the trap guns have a drop at heel of approx 1&7/8" ...Explained here http://www.browning.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/fit-gun-stock.html

I have owned many 101s over the years , still have a couple, and they just seem to fit if you need a lot of drop , compared to say Berettas

If it is a pigeon grade it will be the same as this Supergrade https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/winchester/over-under/12-gauge/101-xtr-supergrade-160330143930002

but the raised wood panels behind the receiver will be chequered

Just noticed you gun has been Teagued so suspect it was probably a fixed choke trap....still a nice gun to have

Edited by TDS

I think it is a 101.pigeon grade. They made a lot of different versions .i have the 400 which is a 101 .

They is not a lot of info out there re the Winchester 101.look on web page stevespages and find the Winchester 101 manual it tells you what versions there is .they are not bad guns does the serial number start with K ----------- .if so it was made in Japan i belive they stopped making then in the mid 80s early 90s in Japan .but sure they are made in Belgium by fn

They is not a lot of info out there re the Winchester 101.look on web page stevespages and find the Winchester 101 manual it tells you what versions there is .they are not bad guns does the serial number start with K ----------- .if so it was made in Japan i belive they stopped making then in the mid 80s early 90s in Japan .but sure they are made in Belgium by fn serial no. is PK374428

Serial No. is PK374428

So if the serial number is PK --------- the p is for pigeon grade then the k is for kodensa who made them for

Olin/ Winchester .olin sold out to fn in Belgium.my serial number is just K381---.the info I got about 101 in Japan was

Made after 1969 probably late 1970/early 1980 last to be made in kodensa was in 1987

Have a look on midwestgunworks.com then pick gun parts that may tell you a bit but has pics of parts

Edited by Guest

If the comb slopes downwards to the butt, it will be a sporter. If the comb is flat - i.e. runs parallel to the barrel rib - it will be the trap version.

Ok on the case that the choke tubes are in it states "Your shotgun has been modified with precision screw in Teague chokes" so all the info that the guys on here have replied to it looks like it is a modified trap gun ..been trying to post a pic but cant find were to do it.