MTC Viper 4-16x50 going on a Sako Quad .22lr

JohnGalway

I used Sportsmatch 30mm double screw two piece high mounts on my Quad which just allows the barrels to be changed without moving the scope, and the mounting part of the barrel (which has to pass the objective lense) is substantially thicker than the part you see below it when in place. However that is for the new Bushnell 6-24x50 SF which is only about 13" long.

I had bought some medium mounts but they would not leave enough room to allow a barrel change without removing the scope.

An aspect that is not often considered when switching to 30mm tube scopes is the ring radius goes 2.5mm deeper into the mount than a 25mm one. Thus low mounts are not generally available.

I have placed a picture of them here so you can see where they will fit in this configuration.

The tape is on the front of the scope to avoid marking it if I slip with the barrel. The glass is there for squeaking :good:

Also note the front 40mm or so of the tube is clear to allow my Atom Tactical lamp on it - with a much better battery than standard of course to get the range needed for the Quad.

post-2210-1178036467.jpg

Good morning all,

Me again with yet another question (the list is endless :good: ). Yesterday it arrived, MTC Viper 4-16x50. I couldn't be happier. The reticle is class, the glass clear, crisp and bright. Only one problem, the supplied mounts won't fit the 11mm dovetail rail on the top of my Sako Quad (.22lr). I'll be sticking it on the Tikka for the moment to see if that makes any difference to it as I have 30mm Optilock mounts on it already (won't fit the quad).

So, which mounts do I get. Brand? High or Medium? Or am I better off bringing it to a gunshop and seeing for myself :good: (getting too used to buying off the internet).

If anyone has a Quad with a 50mm objective on their scope, what do you use?

Thanks as always,

John :)

Hi JG,

Have you tried some base blocks, ask your gunsmith if he can get the right size, save you buying a new set of mounts,

Did you set any hangs?

BJ.

So, which mounts do I get. Brand? High or Medium? Or am I better off bringing it to a gunshop and seeing for myself :blush: (getting too used to buying off the internet).

John :lol:

John

You have answered your own question mate even though with the advice given already you'll more than likely not have to give your RFD a visit.

For that .22 lr as previously said by stuart any mounts will do but if your like myself and even though it ain't required you'll want the best going .

It's not the recoil or in this case lack of it that you have to worry about but the knocks and bangs when out in the field and I notice the sportsmans are double screwed :)

Looked through all the MTC range the other week but and it's a alot of glass for the money but the cross air is just to busy for me I'm afraid especially when illuminated but if your happy then that's what matters most . :good:

Good morning all,

Me again with yet another question (the list is endless :) ). Yesterday it arrived, MTC Viper 4-16x50. I couldn't be happier. The reticle is class, the glass clear, crisp and bright. Only one problem, the supplied mounts won't fit the 11mm dovetail rail on the top of my Sako Quad (.22lr). I'll be sticking it on the Tikka for the moment to see if that makes any difference to it as I have 30mm Optilock mounts on it already (won't fit the quad).

So, which mounts do I get. Brand? High or Medium? Or am I better off bringing it to a gunshop and seeing for myself :good: (getting too used to buying off the internet).

If anyone has a Quad with a 50mm objective on their scope, what do you use?

Thanks as always,

John :lol:

John,

Glad you are happy with it, value for money or what??

ATB

John