Reloading Data for 12g Subsonic Cartridges.

Hi

I use a Hushpower 12g Mossberg Pump for pest control, and am currently using the Eley Hushpower game cartridges - 30g fibre 6's. I plan to reload the empty cases and have got my MEC, scales and some shot, etc but am having some difficulty with getting the right reloading formula sorted out. Taking an Eley Hushpower cartridges apart gives the wad size and weight of powder, etc, but without knowing what type of powder and primer combination that is I don't want to be guessing with this!

Ian at C&G doesn't have subsonic load data, and the main cartridge and powder manufacturers don't want to talk about it - Ian suggested downloading the powder charge using a medium burn powder such as Vectan A1 to keep the muzzle velocity below 1100fps, and that is a progressive powder suitable for larger bores and heavier loads - but I am not sure about setting out to experiment too much as it's a complicated balancing act and I don't know enough about it.

Does anyone have any experience or advice? I have been researching this for a while now but have stalled to the point where I am going to buy another load of the Eley Hushpowers (and would much rather use that cash to reload the empty hulls sat waiting!).

Many thanks in advance for any information.

Edited by Tin Man Work

Here you go

70mm PT case

CX2000 primer

15.0 grains Vectan AS

3mm Card+20mm Fibre+5mm Cork wad

28g lead shot

1040/317 fps/ ms

Sub-Sonic

6pt crimp

I am suprised that Ian couldn't help you as this info is on his reloading data CD

I have tried that recipe and found it to be far slower than the stated velocity along with quite a variation in velocity.

I have cured a similar problem in .410 by adding a small amount more powder (1grain), which created enough pressure to make it burn properly turning it into a very even and consistent load but never pursued this with the 12g.

Any light 20g subsonic loads (less than 28gram)would be appreciated on this thread too :lol:

Many thanks for the help fellas - I was sure Ian would be the source for what I was after but his e-mail came back with:

I don't have any subsonic formulas for 12ga. The only ones I have work on are for .410 that are completely different to 12ga. Basically any medium burn propellant will work, its just a matter of keeping your muzzle velocity below 1100 fps. You can do this by downloading on the powder charge. Although I have no data for it, Vectan A1 could be a starter as it is designed to be used with 28 to 32 gram loads of Lead shot. Most dealers stock it if they're into reloading.

I'll start with the menu in the post above and go from there - I'll keep this feed going to let people know how I get on with this as I'm sure there's interest in working this out.

Thanks again, and watch this space.............

Thanks fellas - much appreciated.

There is a line of thought out there that the retail subsonic cartridges are made with special powders with a long batch life - well if that's the case then it's out of my reach so I will be working another approach to sorting out my reloading.

After talking to a few experienced people I will be base my reload on the Eley Hushpower, using a medium burn powder and CX2000 primer, replicating the load charge and wad of the Eley, and changing single variables (a grain, etc) at a time to see what the results are.

I am comfortable that the pressures will be well within the safe limit of the Mossberg (chambered for 3" Magnums) so will be out with a chronograph (when I get my hands on one) to assess what the results are with fps, pattern and penetration with No6 shot.

I don't know when there'll be any news but will certainly come back to update this thread.

Cheers

• 2 years later...

Thanks fellas - much appreciated.

There is a line of thought out there that the retail subsonic cartridges are made with special powders with a long batch life - well if that's the case then it's out of my reach so I will be working another approach to sorting out my reloading.

After talking to a few experienced people I will be base my reload on the Eley Hushpower, using a medium burn powder and CX2000 primer, replicating the load charge and wad of the Eley, and changing single variables (a grain, etc) at a time to see what the results are.

I am comfortable that the pressures will be well within the safe limit of the Mossberg (chambered for 3" Magnums) so will be out with a chronograph (when I get my hands on one) to assess what the results are with fps, pattern and penetration with No6 shot.

I don't know when there'll be any news but will certainly come back to update this thread.

Cheers

Any update on this please ?

Hi

I use a Hushpower 12g Mossberg Pump for pest control, and am currently using the Eley Hushpower game cartridges - 30g fibre 6's. I plan to reload the empty cases and have got my MEC, scales and some shot, etc but am having some difficulty with getting the right reloading formula sorted out. Taking an Eley Hushpower cartridges apart gives the wad size and weight of powder, etc, but without knowing what type of powder and primer combination that is I don't want to be guessing with this!

Ian at C&G doesn't have subsonic load data, and the main cartridge and powder manufacturers don't want to talk about it - Ian suggested downloading the powder charge using a medium burn powder such as Vectan A1 to keep the muzzle velocity below 1100fps, and that is a progressive powder suitable for larger bores and heavier loads - but I am not sure about setting out to experiment too much as it's a complicated balancing act and I don't know enough about it.

Does anyone have any experience or advice? I have been researching this for a while now but have stalled to the point where I am going to buy another load of the Eley Hushpowers (and would much rather use that cash to reload the empty hulls sat waiting!).

Many thanks in advance for any information.

does you mossberg pump cycle the 65mm shells oka ?

Guest cookoff013

Any update on this please ?

use the search function before you dig up ancient posts. that way you`ll get information at your fingertips.

here are some keywords. subsonic or hushpower

Guest cookoff013

Cookoff has some good sub recipes!

It would be nice if someone took an Hushpower cartridge apart and showed us whats in it! Can't buy em round ere except in bulk, that's what got me reloading!

you can bet your bottom dollar that there are components in them that you cant get. especially the powder.

@op.

powders you should look into are, hodgdons titewad, vectan AS, redot, lowsonic, hodgden clays,etc.

you can bet your bottom dollar that there are components in them that you cant get. especially the powder.

@op.

powders you should look into are, hodgdons titewad, vectan AS, redot, lowsonic, hodgden clays,etc.

hi all

iv been playing around with sub sonic 12g loads for ages now and believe that ive cracked it :yes:

70mm case

rem 209 primer

21 grains of herco powder

20mm fibre wad

36 grams number 4s

it an excellant load, cycles in my semi and is just as quiet as the ****y eley hushpower 32g 6s.