Decoying Today

Blackbart

Big thanks to one of the local lads for inviting me decoying today :good: Had a great day and rekindled my love of pigeon shooting.Ended up with 37 picked and a few lost and a jackdaw.I didnt shoot like a total numpty and managed just better than 1 for 2 in the empty cartridge count and had 2 or 3 right and lefts so quite happy considering the shotgun has not been out the cabinet in a while.

Thanks very much Dan,i had a great day and will return the invite. :hmm:

Hope you don't mind me hi-jacking this thread into "Decoying Yesterday" but I had a great day out decoying yesterday courtesy of Magman (and Magboy).

Set up about 9:30 on a stubble field and shot through till about 4 o'clock. Ended up with 29 birds on the clicker with about a third of them being ferals. Magman set up about 4 fields away and he and Magboy had about 35 (I think that's what he said). It was an awkward field to shoot, I couldn't shoot the way I would have chosen because of a road about 200 yards away and I was convinced I had got everything wrong (I don't think my hide would have fooled a blind bird) ;)

The birds came over steady with no more than 10 mins between shots but the woodies were very wary, approaching but flaring off before landing. The ferals would commit and try to land so they are definitely not as wise as the woodies, I really don't like shooting ferals but we are there for crop protection so it has to be done. The woodies gave me some good sport though by flaring off, well that's my excuse for my 3 to 1 carts to kill ratio :good:

Two unusual things while we were out, I didn't have a left and right but I did kill two ferals with one shot and talking to Rob afterward so did he!!! The other strange thing was that I had dropped two woodies into a grass field behind me and when we were finished I asked Magman if he would send his little springer to pick them, sure enough it went straight to the first one and brought it straight back to Magboy (I suspect Dad is training this dog for lad!) but the second one was not to be found but the dog was very interested in one area, Magboy walked out to it and brought back a pigeon's head, just the head and neck to just below the white bar! We came to the conclusion that it was almost certainly the work of a fox but could it have been a buzzard? there was 1 or 2 of them circling about during the day and quite low at times.

Anyhow, a real big Thank You to Magman, a true Gentleman and a real countryman.

Mr Potter

Hope you don't mind me hi-jacking this thread into "Decoying Yesterday" but I had a great day out decoying yesterday courtesy of Magman (and Magboy).

Set up about 9:30 on a stubble field and shot through till about 4 o'clock. Ended up with 29 birds on the clicker with about a third of them being ferals. Magman set up about 4 fields away and he and Magboy had about 35 (I think that's what he said). It was an awkward field to shoot, I couldn't shoot the way I would have chosen because of a road about 200 yards away and I was convinced I had got everything wrong (I don't think my hide would have fooled a blind bird) ???

The birds came over steady with no more than 10 mins between shots but the woodies were very wary, approaching but flaring off before landing. The ferals would commit and try to land so they are definitely not as wise as the woodies, I really don't like shooting ferals but we are there for crop protection so it has to be done. The woodies gave me some good sport though by flaring off, well that's my excuse for my 3 to 1 carts to kill ratio ;)

Two unusual things while we were out, I didn't have a left and right but I did kill two ferals with one shot and talking to Rob afterward so did he!!! The other strange thing was that I had dropped two woodies into a grass field behind me and when we were finished I asked Magman if he would send his little springer to pick them, sure enough it went straight to the first one and brought it straight back to Magboy (I suspect Dad is training this dog for lad!) but the second one was not to be found but the dog was very interested in one area, Magboy walked out to it and brought back a pigeon's head, just the head and neck to just below the white bar! We came to the conclusion that it was almost certainly the work of a fox but could it have been a buzzard? there was 1 or 2 of them circling about during the day and quite low at times.

Anyhow, a real big Thank You to Magman, a true Gentleman and a real countryman.

Mr Potter

By 'Ferals' Rob meant cats. ??? good shooting guys, Robs a top host. :good: