Clothing advice

Blunderbuss

sounds like you have expensive tastes!

Not really, I just happened to be in Farlows, where expensive is the only option :lol: .

My main point was that I find it amazing how many "lightweight" jackets completely fail to address the fact that sometimes it's warm enough to need decent ventilation AND it's pouring down....... The Linhope "boil in a bag" featherweight is another case in point.

Dave

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've got a jackpyke olive fleece which is fully waterproof and i reasonably cool if you've just got a t-shirt on and is semi-smart i've worn mine with moleskins and jumper and looked respectable but its only got two external standards type pockets and two large internal and only cost £30 its two layers of fleece bonded with a waterproofing glue.

if i personally want to look a bit smarter i go with my jahti jakt jacket it looks good for the price and it the best i could afford at the time and its not let me down

i've seen a deerhunter softshell in olive green i've got a regatta one for walking not sure how it would look with breeks but its good waterproof material and i wore mine in summer walking in the lake district and managed fine with it mate so its maybe worth having a look at :lol:

Seeland all the way.....

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/ProductDe...ON-3IN1-GRN-M40

I have the 'previous model' one from them (can't remember the name but its been superceded anyway) and in my opinion it fits all the criteria required. I've worn it on driven shoots, it is warm and waterproof and has a zip out liner. It is a softshell type material and it also has those pointless straps to keep yer pocket flaps open (for that super quick dip for the next two shells....ppfff!).

Pit zips - great way to damage expensive stocks. Found out the hard way.

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that, but I can't see a modern plastic zip doing any damage (although I'd rather see a metal zip used normally, I can see why you'd want to compromise here....) ?

Anyway, I've gone for the layered approach and bought a Musto Technical Wool shooting jacket for when it's dry, plus I've got a Beretta Waxwear shell on the way from the States for wet weather (it's caped and lets plenty of air circulate). A bit of an experiment but the Musto is a keeper and the Beretta will work out at around £130 quid.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 months later...
Hi all, I'm in the market for a new shooting jacket, but want it to do a lot and meet a long wish list of requirements. I'm hoping the accumulated experience of PW can help me narrow the search down a bit.

Here is my wish list:

It needs to be 100% wind and waterproof, but relatively lightweight - cool enough to wear in a summer downpour, but with room to layer up underneath in the winter. I have a Deerhunter Smallville, which is OK in the winter, but too warm and bulky at other times. I'm a big fan of Goretex, but not shy of other own brand membranes (Seetex, Deertex et al) with a good reputation.

No tweed and no cammo :D It needs to be dark green or olive, with reasonably traditional styling. It must be smart enough to wear with breeks and a tie on the occasional driven shoot, but not look too poncey with jeans in a pigeon hide!

Although I have some proper lairy coloured technical Goretex gear for serious hill bashing, this will double up for less strenuous walking/hiking, where it shouldn't look out of place.

It needs a waterproof hood and I prefer an integral one which rolls up into the collar, preferably with a wire rim, but would compromise on a detachable one if necessary.

It should have a "quiet" outer fabric, i.e. not be too "swishy" when moving about, like some mountaineering Goretex.

A couple of decent sized cartridge pockets would be nice, but I don't want too many gimmicks such as integral dog whistles, blaze orange "safety" vests or so many zips and pockets I could wear it to a fetish convention!

I'm willing to pay up to around £300, but far less if I can get away with it.

Suggestions! :blush::D

For closure, if anyone is interested. After trying on many jackets, I settled (or rather Santa did) on the Barbour Crossfell long. It pretty much meets all my original criteria, fits me better than many more expensive jackets I tried and has a 2 year guarantee. I'm well chuffed with it :yes: