Clothing advice

Blunderbuss

Hi all, I'm in the market for a new shooting jacket, but want it to do a lot and meet a long wish list of requirements. I'm hoping the accumulated experience of PW can help me narrow the search down a bit.

Here is my wish list:

It needs to be 100% wind and waterproof, but relatively lightweight - cool enough to wear in a summer downpour, but with room to layer up underneath in the winter. I have a Deerhunter Smallville, which is OK in the winter, but too warm and bulky at other times. I'm a big fan of Goretex, but not shy of other own brand membranes (Seetex, Deertex et al) with a good reputation.

No tweed and no cammo :hmm: It needs to be dark green or olive, with reasonably traditional styling. It must be smart enough to wear with breeks and a tie on the occasional driven shoot, but not look too poncey with jeans in a pigeon hide!

Although I have some proper lairy coloured technical Goretex gear for serious hill bashing, this will double up for less strenuous walking/hiking, where it shouldn't look out of place.

It needs a waterproof hood and I prefer an integral one which rolls up into the collar, preferably with a wire rim, but would compromise on a detachable one if necessary.

It should have a "quiet" outer fabric, i.e. not be too "swishy" when moving about, like some mountaineering Goretex.

A couple of decent sized cartridge pockets would be nice, but I don't want too many gimmicks such as integral dog whistles, blaze orange "safety" vests or so many zips and pockets I could wear it to a fetish convention!

I'm willing to pay up to around £300, but far less if I can get away with it.

Suggestions! :hmm::oops:

Edited by Blunderbuss

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a Musto Highland jacket last year and its been brillaint. Tough with brambles and blackthorn etc, washes well and nothings started fraying, splitting yet and i've worn it al ot. Its got the pocket-holder-open jobbies for loading and a dry bum flap that you can sit on buttened up inside the coat. Its got nice big poacher pockets and very warm fleece lined chest pockets. Nice high collar than buttons up and really keeps your neck toasty.

Got it in the lighter colour than below for a bargain at Bicester village outlet store. (Yhe website below is just for the picture.)

http://www.onlinegunshop.co.uk/product.php?xProd=114

I picked up a Musto Highland jacket last year and its been brillaint. Tough with brambles and blackthorn etc, washes well and nothings started fraying, splitting yet and i've worn it al ot. Its got the pocket-holder-open jobbies for loading and a dry bum flap that you can sit on buttened up inside the coat. Its got nice big poacher pockets and very warm fleece lined chest pockets. Nice high collar than buttons up and really keeps your neck toasty.

Got it in the lighter colour than below for a bargain at Bicester village outlet store. (Yhe website below is just for the picture.)

http://www.onlinegunshop.co.uk/product.php?xProd=114

Cheers Libs. I do like that kind of styling. What is the lining like? Could you wear it comfortably in a summer downpour without over heating? How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

Another jacket I like the look of, but never seen one in the flesh, is the Seeland Scott. Has anyone tried one?

Edited by Blunderbuss

I have one of these and it seems to do everything you ask.

http://www.barbour.com/index.cfm?fuseactio...3&RangeID=1

It's not particulary warm but does stop the wind and rain. You can get a liner but I just put a jumper on. Hood is optional.

Also have a Deerhunter Daytona but it's a bit to warm sometimes.

Harry

I just got an amazing jacket any trousers from fleabay USA. It is US army Gen II rain kit Its in a kind of digital camo print which looks good in my opinion. Gore tex big pockets thin and light although I think the Gen III is lighter and quieter. I paid 89 dollars I think it is called ACU or ECWS or something. It is ace though perhaps gen 3 is better but dearer.

Cheers Libs. I do like that kind of styling. What is the lining like? Could you wear it comfortably in a summer downpour without over heating? How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

Another jacket I like the look of, but never seen one in the flesh, is the Seeland Scott. Has anyone tried one?

Its got a cotton/synthetic 'country pattern' style lining, wool sections arounds the pits and quilted down the sleeves. Its fine to wear in the summer when its a bit miserable but the neoprene-ish material that the adjustable cuffs (very warm in the cold) are made from get a bit sweaty. Wouldn't want to make a habbit of wearing it when the suns right out in June! Its got a detachable inner quilted waistcoat that I brough as an extra which zips and buttons in which makes it outstandingly warm when needed, and the waistcoat also doubles as a skeet vest due to its nice well placed pockets.

I belvie the Jacket was £155 and the waistcoat £25, but I stress this was in a Musto outlet store in Bicestor village near Oxfordshire.

I just got an amazing jacket any trousers from fleabay USA. It is US army Gen II rain kit Its in a kind of digital camo print which looks good in my opinion. Gore tex big pockets thin and light although I think the Gen III is lighter and quieter. I paid 89 dollars I think it is called ACU or ECWS or something. It is ace though perhaps gen 3 is better but dearer.

:hmm:

Although I don't own one, the Beretta GUL6 looks like a mighty fine choice. I'm in the process of saving up/trying to convince the wife of the sound investment before I purchase.

West Kent Shooting School have some on offer...

HERE

Its fully Goretex, Coolmax, Teflon, Cordura, blah blah blah!

PS don't get the XXL - its mine!

mmm fast harry I thought it was a shooting jacket he wanted that kept him dry not a suit overcoat? I guess mine isn't to everyones Taste but it is the best designed waterproof I have ever had I shoot allot in all weathers so being dry is the thing for me.

hey blunder don't knock of till youhave looked it doesn't look like camo just patterned but each to his own I guess

mmm fast harry I thought it was a shooting jacket he wanted that kept him dry not a suit overcoat? I guess mine isn't to everyones Taste but it is the best designed waterproof I have ever had I shoot allot in all weathers so being dry is the thing for me.

Utecock, I'm not knocking that jacket, or criticising your choice, but in my opening post I said no cammo, and something that wouldn't look out of place with tie and breeks at a driven shoot. I've got other kit for other jobs, including some cammo. I'm sure the one you suggest is a great bit of kit, but it doesn't fit my very specific brief for this jacket.

Atleast try the Barbour! I have that very jacket and it's great.

:lol:

Hmm... I just don't like the greasy feel of waxed cotton, I also think they start to look quite scruffy after a while and I'm a sucker for technical fabrics like goretex, sorry :hmm:

Although I don't own one, the Beretta GUL6 looks like a mighty fine choice. I'm in the process of saving up/trying to convince the wife of the sound investment before I purchase.

West Kent Shooting School have some on offer...

HERE

Its fully Goretex, Coolmax, Teflon, Cordura, blah blah blah!

PS don't get the XXL - its mine!

I like that, that's added to the list of possibles, good price too :hmm:

Got a brand new Timberland shooting jacket, off fleabay last year for 90 quid, absolute cracking jacket, retail at 250 quid.

I have some timberland gear and it's very good quality. I didn't know they did shooting gear :oops: Is it "traditional" looking, or is it a bit preppy US college looking like some of their gear? Any links? What's the name of the jacket?

Edited by Blunderbuss

Dont know if this is any use to you but I saw this at Weston Game Fair, it fits in the price range and looks and feels great.

http://www.nomaduk.net/STEALTH%20TWEED%202...%20products.htm

Worth a look :hmm:

Looks OK, never heard of the company before, I'd feel a little bit more comfortable with a well known name. However I would certainly like to see one up close (the website is a bit amateurish and pic quality is poor). In with an outside chance, if I can get to see some without travelling too far.

The current list of possibles:

Beretta GUL6

Musto Highland

Seeland Scott (any views?)

Harklia Pro Hunter (but may be too heavy/warm)

Nomad Stealth (a bit of a long shot)

Timberland?? (Need to see their shooting gear)

Edited by Blunderbuss

I have a Musto Keepers jacket which would fit you bill exactly.

I bought mine 5 years ago for £200 and it has been the best 200 quid I have ever spent.

It can be a bit warm early season if you are beating but you really appreciate it on a cold winters day.

shame you don't like barbour or tweed as John Norris are knocking these out at bargainacious prices

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/6686-barb...-jacket-93.html

Its not barbour I dislike, it's waxed cotton. I quite like the look of the Barbour Linhope range, does anyone know anything about them?

I have a Musto Keepers jacket which would fit you bill exactly.

I bought mine 5 years ago for £200 and it has been the best 200 quid I have ever spent.

It can be a bit warm early season if you are beating but you really appreciate it on a cold winters day.

Again, that's exactly the styling I'm looking for, but it does look a bit like a winter only jacket? Added to the "possibles".

Beretta GUL6

Musto Highland

Seeland Scott (any views?)

Harklia Pro Hunter (but may be too heavy/warm)

Nomad Stealth (a bit of a long shot)

Timberland?? (Need to see their shooting gear)

Musto Keepers jacket (too well insulated to use Spring - Autumn?)