100 & 200 yard Groups with .223 handloads

ashleybrook

At the range the furthest I could shoot at the time was 100 yards due to the 200 yard target being rebuilt. So I decided to go to a friends land which I have permission to shoot on and tried shooting some 200 yard groups. The groups shown below were done using a benchrest bipod, sandbag at the rear and were shot off the bonnet of my van. Not sure how well these groups fair compared to everyone else but I was well chuffed :lol:

Oh and the range was measured using the new Swarovski laser range finder, I'll post a pic.

I went on to shoot some coke cans at 300 and 400 yards! missed a few at 400 though, pretty hard just keeping the crosshairs on a target that small at 400 yards.

Ashley.

post-11-1121690675.jpg

Thanks PM, I couldn't help the flinch on the fourth shot, the wind was coming and going and I was trying to hold my breath, keep steady and wait for the wind to calm. I knew it was gonna be a flyer as soon as I pulled the trigger. Dough!!! :<

One thing that suprised me was how comfortable it was shooting off the bonnet, half leaning over it. just as good as shooting from a bench.

Maybe give it a go, Perfect if you suspect the zero is out and you ain't got no steady platform to shoot from. :lol:

good group mate, nice piece of kit you have there as well, ive had a play with one, nice pieces.

good groups as well, pulling shots cant always be helped, any number of things can cause it, for a long time i suffered with a jump, which resulted in my pulling every shot, it took me a good few months to get rid of it completely. anoying when it happens

good shooting :lol:

Makes me wonder the sort of concentration and calmness 1000yard benchrest shooters have! Any one heard of Cheyenne Tactical? They make rifles that can group 14" five shot groups at 2500yards!!! I thought the .50 BMG was impressive! I think I'd have to lay off the coffee and get about 18 hours staight sleep before I would be calm enough to try shooting at that distance! :lol:

All the best Dunganick,

Ashley.

I think it happens to most people from time to time, including myself :*)

Great group Ashely :lol: .

The best group i got from my .204 is 1 and a quarter inch at 254yds using Hornady 40 grain v.max factory ammo.

With hand loads this caliber would be deadly i would think :lol: .

Just aim behind the shoulder of the fox to prevent crater wounds :lol: .

Id say the .223 has no problems regarding this though.

Hi all, Yes the rifle is a Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless in .223, did post a photo on here when I first got it! I just had a T8 mod fitted which makes it a real pleasure to shoot.

Only thing was I got this loud "Ting" from the mod when I fired it, so I got a neoprene sleeve from Avalon Guns and I can't beleive how quite the rifle is now. Seriously this thing is almost silent until it hits the target, then "Thud".

Hopefully I'll get my first fox soon and post a pic. Saw a few out the last couple of nights, but the little blighters sitout on the top of a hill so no backstop!! Plus they don't repond too well to calls!!

Give it time though!!! I'll get one :lol::lol::lol:

Ashley.

just got a pair of those sleves for my dads silencers, they are probably the most useful thing we have bought, the 6.5 with the t8 used to ting like anything when you chambered a round. now it makes no noise, and looks a bit better than the grey finish.

recomended buy for any silencer