How much would you expect to lose on a seconhand gun

Cosd

Was buying a couple of bits from the local gunshop and I spotted a 12g moderated shottie, it was an Italian Bedrettie. I've been reading about these with interest in a few mags and thought I'd take a look since I've never seen one to hold.

I was surprised by the weight, I thought it would be much heavier and more off balance. Gun felt quite pointable, and with a bit of moding by adding weight in the hollow stock (read this on Catamongs thread) the gun would feel very balanced.

The gun was marked up at £225 which seemed reasonable, was in ok condition.

I asked the shop owner how much I'd lose if I bought the gun and if I didn't get on with it to take it back to the shop within a month.

Half price was the answer :unsure:

Does that sound right or am I way off course thinking I should be losing less?

I think a gun should be sold at between 1/2 and 3/4 of the new price depending on condition. Gun shops often make low offers to cover their overheads. If you're buying used and they want to give you half what they sell it to you for then you'd be better off either buying a new on because the used one is a rip off, or selling it privately to get better return.

If you buy a used gun privately and then want to pass it on, it's not unheard of to make a small profit, especially if you've tidied it up a bit. You certainly shouldn't be making a huge loss.

If gun listed @ £225, you pay £200. He buys it back for £100 and sells it again for £200! £100 profit.

If you pain £1000 for a second hand gun, you'd (hopefully) get a lot more than half the value (~750/800), it's because its a low value item.

No shop would be in business if they didn't make profit. Seems like a dirty word but do you want the shop to be there? Everyday they have to pay staff, rates, utilities, hold stock that they have to pay upfront for. Yet some days they may not turn over enough to cover their overheads.

As a business making £100 on a gun seems reasonable. IMO

dont you have 28day on anything you buy by law? so if its not for you wouldnt you get back what you paid for it?

No. Distance selling lets you return it within 7 days if you change your mind. Bought face to face there's no legal comeback if you change your mind. Some shops do it as a goodwill gesture. Obviously have a duty if not fit for purpose/faulty etc

If gun listed @ £225, you pay £200. He buys it back for £100 and sells it again for £200! £100 profit.

If you pain £1000 for a second hand gun, you'd (hopefully) get a lot more than half the value (~750/800), it's because its a low value item.

No shop would be in business if they didn't make profit. Seems like a dirty word but do you want the shop to be there? Everyday they have to pay staff, rates, utilities, hold stock that they have to pay upfront for. Yet some days they may not turn over enough to cover their overheads.

As a business making £100 on a gun seems reasonable. IMO

In that £200 - is there not VAT to be paid at £30 so he 'only' gets £70? That's what I heard from an RFD when I was thinking of a trade in last year. And, TBH, if I could buy a new gun at £225, I wouldn't pay £200 for a second hand one.

In that £200 - is there not VAT to be paid at £30 so he 'only' gets £70? That's what I heard from an RFD when I was thinking of a trade in last year. And, TBH, if I could buy a new gun at £225, I wouldn't pay £200 for a second hand one.

I think it's second hand? OP describes it as "in ok condition"

You are totally right with the VAT!