New 12 bore - thoughts?

scrob

Hi guys,

I currently shoot with a Browning Ultra XS over and under sporting 12 bore. I am not an experience shooter and I have had the gun out approx half a dozen times, within which I have started to form the opinion that it is a bit heavy for me and having used other guns on these outings I am considering changing to a side by side in something lighter.

I shoot a mixture of game, rough/pigeons and clays. Having used a mixture of guns over these outings, a side by side felt a lot more natural and it was a lot lighter as well which helped considering I am quite small (5'6). However, I am wondering if it would be as versatile as an over and under or if it would hinder the clay shooting side of things?

Budget wise, I would probably spend up to £1,500 and I'm happy to buy second hand in good condition. So with that in mind, can anyone recommend some guns to look at?

The side by side I was using at the weekend was an AYA No.2 which was lovely but unfortunately a bit beyond my budget.

Comments and thoughts appreciated

Rob

IMO you cant judge a side by side against an over and under... 2 totally different guns for different purposes,

i think you would struggle with clays with a sxs because of the weight even with low power cartridges....

i use an ultra xs as well but bigger built than you......i find it suits me nicely but i agree for lugging around the field it gets a bit heavy......

have you thought of having 2 guns.....a cheaper o/u for the clays and a sxs for game.....with your budget you should be able to get 2 very nice guns....say £1000 should get a nice o/u in fact there is a browning grade 1 425 on here for sale at £750 ono, that leaves you the change to get a sxs

just my opinion mind.... :lol:

shaun

Edited by shaun4860

Hi there, the browning XS is a heavy gun but I won't go down the Side by Side route if versatility is what you're after.

Have a look at a Beretta 686, they have a slender action, quite light and multi choke.They're about £1800 new so you

should be able to get second hand in your budget, might be worth a look-see. :lol:

I shoot an Ultra XS for clays and also agree that it is a heavy gun. I have a 20 bore 687 Silver Pigeon III for my game shooting which is a world apart weight-wise.

Beretta 686s are a good weight, but I found that I struggled with a 12g 686 in terms of fit, whereas the Browning 525 range fitted me really well.

Hi,

Although I don't agree with Shaun's opening sentence (if it were true you wouldn't see both types in the field), what he then says is spot on. If you fancy the AYA and because of your size, have a look at the "25" boxlock. This is a cracking little game gun. However, you may just have to swing your finances from what Shaun said more toward a 50/50 basis but you've still got plenty to get 2 nice guns.

Cheers

There are many O/U out there that will be lighter than your Browning so I would try a few more before going to a side by side.

Me and dad both use Beretta's (dad-687 silver pigeon, me-686 special) and we use them for pigeon shooting and clay shooting and they are a nice weight and work well.

We both picked our guns up at around £600 and they had both fired less than 100 shots

Hi,

Although I don't agree with Shaun's opening sentence (if it were true you wouldn't see both types in the field), what he then says is spot on. If you fancy the AYA and because of your size, have a look at the "25" boxlock. This is a cracking little game gun. However, you may just have to swing your finances from what Shaun said more toward a 50/50 basis but you've still got plenty to get 2 nice guns.

Cheers

I may have worded it wrong i was trying to compare the two at clay shooting... :blink:

shaun

Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming.

I'm sure this is probably a well covered topic but why exactly are sxs bad for clays?

I did actually consider the thought of 2 guns, though not sure I could really justify it with the amount of shooting I do at the moment. One possibility would be maybe to change the Ultra XS for another good OU and later down the line think about picking up a nice side by side as well.

I shot with a Beretta Onyx at my last clay day which was a lovely little gun and a hell of a lot lighter than the Browning. Online reviews seem to give my own gun rave reviews whilst the Beretta got a quite mediocre review, which sort of put me off slightly thinking I would be trading down for an "inferior" gun. Has anyone on here tried this gun?

As I say cheers for all the advice, keep it coming. At 5'6 and 10st I do think the Ultra XS is going to have to go though, it's just a bit on the heavy side to be comfortable.

I shot with a Beretta Onyx at my last clay day which was a lovely little gun and a hell of a lot lighter than the Browning. Online reviews seem to give my own gun rave reviews whilst the Beretta got a quite mediocre review, which sort of put me off slightly thinking I would be trading down for an "inferior" gun. Has anyone on here tried this gun?

Woops, just re-read my post and realised the Onyx is the same as the 686 mentioned by someone else above. Here is the review I read, it almost puts me off slightly http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/165790/Be...gun_review.html

That said, I quite liked it at the last clay day and probably shot better with it than the Ultra XS. It would also leave me change for a nice air rifle... hmmm, decisions <_<

I wouldn't pay all that much attention to reviews like that - it's only one persons opinion and their experience of the gun may be vastly different to your own, as well as perhaps being an entirely different body shape and size. Berettas are NOT mediocre guns, they are fine guns with great pedigrees and will serve you well. My Ultra XS is also for sale as it is too heavy for me, despite being an excellent gun. A gun is only good for you if it fits you well and you are comfortable with it. I've bought several Beretta SemiAutos now, and a Silver Pigeon (687) III O/U 12g and the shooting experience is sooooo much better than with a Browning. Don't be nervous to change, put it down to experience!!!

Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming.

I'm sure this is probably a well covered topic but why exactly are sxs bad for clays?

I did actually consider the thought of 2 guns, though not sure I could really justify it with the amount of shooting I do at the moment. One possibility would be maybe to change the Ultra XS for another good OU and later down the line think about picking up a nice side by side as well.

As I say cheers for all the advice, keep it coming. At 5'6 and 10st I do think the Ultra XS is going to have to go though, it's just a bit on the heavy side to be comfortable.

On a o/u the bottom barrel is in line with the stock so the recoil travels straight though the gun and into the shoulder in a straight line and the top barrel is above said line and the recoil from this barrel causes muzzel flip,being on the second shot this isn't a problem. Now with a sxs both barrels are in the same line as an o/u's top barrel giving muzzel flip after the first shot which can cause accquisition (excuse the spelling) problems with the second target.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm leaning towards a side by side and have been offered an AYA No.2.... only thing is that it is 25 years old but in excellent condition. Price is 1500. What is the general consensus on buying a gun as old as this - I know guns last a lifetime if cared for correctly but would you actually buy one that is to start with 25 years old? Also am I getting ripped on the price?

Edited by scrob

Hi,

AYA used to boast that, "only abuse not use will wear out an AYA". Obviously you'd take that with a pinch of salt but there is an element of truth in it. I have a 1963 (ish) Matador and it's still sound. Really it's the condition that matters and not so much the age. Other to say check as many adverts as you can to compare, I cant help with the price.

Good luck