"Bullet heads"

Out of ignorance then, what is the difference between a semi auto and a self loader? Must be subtle! My shop looks blankly at you if you ask for 223 bullets and would hand me a box of rounds! So Heads or bullet heads it is im afraid.

Then educate them!

Look at the catalogue of any bullet supplier (and I mean bullet, not loaded ammunition) ie Barnes, Hornady, Federal etc. What do they call them? In any other part of the world you'd be laughed at if you called bullets "heads", it's a joke. And this is not case of a different word being correctly used used in the UK and US i.e. bore and gauge to describe a shotgun's "calibre". The technically correct term for a rifle or pistol projectile in the English language is bullet and always has been. The insidious use of "head" has crept in over the last few decades, often by by people (such as gun shop assistants and and police licensing staff) who are involved on the periphery of shooting but don't know very much about it.

Trust you to stir things up! In my part of the world, which I should add is not that far from the above shop, we often call bullets "heads". Sorry if this offends some of you but that's how it is. You and I both know what I'm saying so don't fuss. As another poster stated before, if he went into his local shop and asked for bullets he would get cartridges. Same for me in all but a couple of places! If I asked for cartridges they'd ask 12 or 20 bore!

It's not a case of doing what's right, it's more important that people know what you mean! Say bullet to me and I think bullet, the same as most of the more educated shooters would. A loaded round is a cartridge. Not everyone knows these things though.

It’s all got to do with where you live in the Country, it’s like when I order a bacon & egg buttie whilst on my travels

If I’m in Manchester they call them nudgers, in the midlands they call them cakes, in other places balms, if your local supplier calls them heads, bullets, rounds or cartridges for me it’s easier to ask for using their description rather than try to give some shop owner a lecture on what they should be called.

For me its bullets, if I want the whole cartridge its rounds.

I’ve already taken cover!!

The PM, not the one eyed one who can’t answer a basic question and takes every penny from my pocket!!

:rolleyes:

One of thereasons shooters choose to reload their own ammunition is because of the versatility in loads it provides . Speer offers a wide selection of BULLETS to meet the varying requirements of the individual shooter .

These BULLETS are carefully designed and precision made for the upmost in accuracy and depedability ........................

A short extract from the speer loading manual , I would think that this company would know the name of the product that they were making . I now surgest that we ban the word HEAD on this forum if refering to BULLETS .

Harnser .

I now surgest that we ban the word HEAD on this forum if refering to BULLETS .

Harnser .

Does it actually matter who calls them what? We all know what's meant and isn't that whats important?

I can be a pedant but this topic blows me into a cocked hat. :rolleyes::good: :good:

Then educate them!

Look at the catalogue of any bullet supplier (and I mean bullet, not loaded ammunition) ie Barnes, Hornady, Federal etc. What do they call them? In any other part of the world you'd be laughed at if you called bullets "heads", it's a joke. And this is not case of a different word being correctly used used in the UK and US i.e. bore and gauge to describe a shotgun's "calibre". The technically correct term for a rifle or pistol projectile in the English language is bullet and always has been. The insidious use of "head" has crept in over the last few decades, often by by people (such as gun shop assistants and and police licensing staff) who are involved on the periphery of shooting but don't know very much about it.

Something is automatic or its not . When referring to automatic guns it means that the magazine on the said gun can be emptied or all rounds fired by pulling the trigger once and keeping the pressure on . Now then the subtle difference between an automatic firearm and a so called semi auto firearm is that the trigger has to pulled each time you want to fire a round and the gun will reload the chamber from the magazine , hence ," self loader " Any how automatic fire arms are illegal in this country and have been as far as I can remember . I also surgest we ban the word automatic on this forum when talking about a self loader .

Harnser .

Does it actually matter who calls them what? We all know what's meant and isn't that whats important?

I can be a pedant but this topic blows me into a cocked hat. :rolleyes::good: :good:

Absolutely correct , you could call them cream buns if you want to but it is nice to know the proper terminolgy ,well I think so anyhow .

Harnser .

This makes me smile. What does it matter what people call bullets?

Harnser - I have no doubt that you're a valuable and knowledgable member of the forum community. I think that you know far more than I do about our sport and I have a lot of respect for you and your opinion, But.... You can be a right old woman at times. Get over it! :good::rolleyes:

This makes me smile. What does it matter what people call bullets?

Harnser - I have no doubt that you're a valuable and knowledgable member of the forum community. I think that you know far more than I do about our sport and I have a lot of respect for you and your opinion, But.... You can be a right old woman at times. Get over it! :good::rolleyes:

Then please call me betty .

Harnser .

Something is automatic or its not . When referring to automatic guns it means that the magazine on the said gun can be emptied or all rounds fired by pulling the trigger once and keeping the pressure on . Now then the subtle difference between an automatic firearm and a so called semi auto firearm is that the trigger has to pulled each time you want to fire a round and the gun will reload the chamber from the magazine , hence ," self loader " Any how automatic fire arms are illegal in this country and have been as far as I can remember . I also surgest we ban the word automatic on this forum when talking about a self loader .

Harnser .

In comparison lets include FAC conditions. Closed ticket, open ticket, semi open ticket. So shall we be even more anal and demand that people refer to it as "restrictive" and "unrestricted" certificate conditions. I doubt it because they're generally called the former and we all know what it means.

Or start the semi auto (self loading) shotguns on fessy shoots debate again? :good: :good:

Oi Vey, I despair sometimes. :rolleyes::good: Nothing being bitched about today? Lets think of something :good: Oh yeah, lets be anal about what things are called.