Scope setting problems

old rooster

Just put a new scope on the Axsor and can't get the vertical setting correct. I've used high mounts as it's got 50mm object lens, problem is that even with the elevation adjuster at max "up" setting the gun is still shooting low. It's grouping great, I had to set up the sight to shoot some bunnies and had to use the first horizontal bar below the cross hairs to enable me to shoot that evening. Result was 7 bunnies all head shot at ranges from 25 to 45 yards.

Anyone offer a suggestion as to why I can't get it up (so to speak) ?

I've checked that the body of the scope is parrallel to the barrel by measuring between body and rail and it's spot on. No sign of the barrel being bent and the grouping suggests that it's not a problem with a misaligned silencer.

Anyone offer a suggestion as to why I can't get it up

erm.... well..... um..... hehe i'll refrain from commenting ???

As for the scope, have you tried swapping the mounts round. I know this shouldnt make a difference on good quality mounts but I have found this to work on from time to time. Damn those little imperfections eh! Perhaps even the scope is faulty?

Camera film shim sounds like a good idea though.

Regards,

Axe.

Thanks guys, surely if I shim up the rear mount it will worsen the problem ?

I don't think it can be mountings as I've carefully measured from underside of scope to top of rail at both ends with a vernier and it's spot on. Wonder if its internal problems ?. Bit of a pain as its a good scope to use with 24x magnification which I like for bunny shooting.

Old Rooster,

If the scope is new and you cannot get the zeroing correct, it may be faulty. I would take it back and get it looked at.

Don't even bother trying to put shims in the mounts. They shouldn't need shimming!

Rob.

P.S good to see you back on P.W! ???

Don't even bother trying to put shims in the mounts. They shouldn't need shimming!

its very common for air rifles to need shims as most scopes are not built to handle the incresed drop experienced with air rifles.

it has been mentioned in many magazines and is also mentioned in the daystate instruction booklet.

HG

Thanks guys, surely if I shim up the rear mount it will worsen the problem ?

If you want to raise the POI to the crosshairs, shim the rear mount. Vice versa if you want to lower the POI.

Oh and welcome back BTW.

Regards,

Axe.

Edited by Axe

its very common for air rifles to need shims as most scopes are not built to handle the incresed drop experienced with air rifles.

it has been mentioned in many magazines and is also mentioned in the daystate instruction booklet.

HG

I stand corrected HG. ???

Well I've stripped the scope and reassembled it properly, calibrated the range and swapped front mount for rear to see what effect that may have. Hope to get out in the field this evening to have another go at setting it up if the current abatement of the monsoon season persists long enough. Will take some tools and film for packing along with a load of pellets and foot pump.

just a thought but have you chronoed the rifle? and did it have enough air in it? as bother these could contirbute to the pellet hitting low on the target and scope running out of elevation. if so its just a simple case of shimming the scope up a bit.

cant say as i know anyone that has stripped a modern scope and the scope surviving.

if theres a problem with the scope try to contact the UK distributor as they may be able to offer help on repairs or in some cases a replacent.

shimming a scope is a very common occurance on airrifles. a simple soultion to a complicated problem.

ROB :o

PS you may find it easier shooting in the field on a slightly lower mag as this gives you a much better field of vision, and if you get a close shot you dont have to fiddle about with the mag or the paralax.

just a thought but have you chronoed the rifle? and did it have enough air in it? as bother these could contirbute to the pellet hitting low on the target and scope running out of elevation. if so its just a simple case of shimming the scope up a bit.

cant say as i know anyone that has stripped a modern scope and the scope surviving.

if theres a problem with the scope try to contact the UK distributor as they may be able to offer help on repairs or in some cases a replacent.

shimming a scope is a very common occurance on airrifles. a simple soultion to a complicated problem.

ROB :D

PS you may find it easier shooting in the field on a slightly lower mag as this gives you a much better field of vision, and if you get a close shot you dont have to fiddle about with the mag or the paralax.

rob

surely if the gun is low on air you dont need to shimmy the scope up as you said just put some air in the gun.:D?? :o :o

ok so that might have come accross slightly different to what i meant.

what i meant was, as long as the rifle has a full charge of air and the power is on the full setting (12F/lbs) there should be nothing else needed to do to the scope other than shimming it a little. If the rifle is low on air or the power is slightly down then goive it a squirt of air or have a guin smith have a look at it.

It was not mean to mean if the rifle is out of air, shim the scope.

But you would be suprised how many people wonder why the pellets are hitting lower and lower an lower on a pcp rifle without thinking about how much air they have in the tank LOL

all the best

ROB :/

roblade (quote)

But you would be suprised how many people wonder why the pellets are hitting lower and lower an lower on a pcp rifle without thinking about how much air they have in the tank LOL

You can say that again i was shooting branchers with my Theoben mk 11 last year,

late in the day i seemed to hit everything low could not figure it out so set up some targets to check zero (thinking i had knocked scope out) kept haveing to adjust horizontal as pellets kept hitting low. Spent the best part of 1 hour and could not understand why every time i zeroed it couple of shots later it was out again.I didnt halve feel a right pillock when it dawned on me the bloody gun was out of air and just needed pumping up. :*) :*) :*) :*) :*) :*) :*) :*) :*)

It's not an "out of air" problem as it occurred straight after pumping to max pressure, just stripped the gun and put new seals throughout while doing a bit of tuning. The gun is really singing power wise, the Axsor is never going to be the most powerful pcp out there but I've fettled the porting and valve which has certainly given it a bit more sting ! It's shooting good groups and hit all 7 bunnies in the head which stopped them dead in their tracks so its just fine scope adjustment.

Scopes ain't that complex inside, if I couldn't strip a scope and rebuild it I think I'd have to give up to be honest, bit like changing cambelts and valve shimming on the Ducati, dealers will tell you it's very tricky but I've never found it to be a problem.

Will hopefully get to set site up tomorrow as I'm supposed to be shooting bunnies in a massive garden right next to the pub ;-)))

ok i admit I have earnt the right to have a snigger at this as have done it myself LOL

ROB :/

PS yep felt a right dozy pillock too LOL

though not the best i have done mounted a new scope on the rifle (think it was one of the tasco scopes) and looked at the guy sitting either side of me and noticed my horizontal adjuster was on the opposite side to mine and said "wow i got a funny scope, my caps on the other side!" to which the reply was "nope you got a normal scope, you just got a funny way of mounting it!" LOL how big did i feel LOL starge thing is was on perfect zero and didnt noticre the up or R on the caps just turned them the normal way LOL

looked at the guy sitting either side of me and noticed my horizontal adjuster was on the opposite side to mine and said "wow i got a funny scope, my caps on the other side!" to which the reply was "nope you got a normal scope, you just got a funny way of mounting it!"

It is a common "Left hooker" trick to mount a scope that way.

(If they shoot left handed of course) Makes it easier to adjust the scope.

Personally I think they should have had their left hands tied behind their backs and made to do everything right handed, just like in Victorian schools.

Clearly "Lefties" do the Devils work.

As a dedicated left hooker here's a bit of "The Devils Work". I think I may have put the scope back together properly :/

Results of a couple of hours sitting in the sun with "herself" this afternoon waiting for the bunnies to come out to play, looks like the Axsor has made their Headsor. Herself is a great spotter of bunnies and always looks better for a day out in the fresh air.

Had three more but put them in the shade to keep them cool and the fancy pigs that live in the garden sneaked up and ate them :<

Will be going back for a serious session soon as there are loads more to sort out.

d4f4d5bf71.jpg

Nice bag for a couple of hours work OR, is the Axsor full power? I seldom get more than 3 or 4 in any one place over a couple of hours. So I have to move around quite a bit. Alot of my shoots are getting wise and I could do with a longer range rifle. Perhaps its time to apply for my FAC.

Anyways, i'm glad to see you got the scope sorted out and back on the forum to share your exploits.

Cheers buddy.

Regards,

Axe.

The Axsor is making good power now, goes right through the bunnies head at 60 yards. Not advocating the use of air rifles at long range by the inexperienced shooter but the modern pcp's ability to shoot good groups coupled with the uniformity of modern high quality pellets is a leap ahead of the old spring gun technology. Not being boastful but I can hit 'em in the head at 45 yards every shot, 60 yards not a problem once you've sorted the holdover on the target range and can set yourself in a very stable stance (I was sitting with my back against a sturdy fence with the gun resting on my knee, steady squeeze of the trigger and its every one a coconut !), believe it or not it still has enough energy to kill at 100 yards and still groups very tight. Accupels rule OK ;-)))

I'm looking at getting an electronic Daystate next but the Axsor is still a good bunny basher.

The venue I visited yesterday has loads of bunnies and nobody else shooting them, first trip there so wanted to pot a few to show the landowner what could be achieved. He was pretty amazed at the results and didn't hear a shot !!. Going to investigate the neighbouring land and gradually get myself another nice little shooting area. When bunnies are causing havoc and you can offer a responsible means of sorting it out you'd be surprised how fast the word travels locally !.

Some ideal buries for the ferreting season as well.

Got to dash, pigeons reported on the rape stubble...............