Legless fox!

flytie

Out after a roebuck tonight, couldn't get near him. Shame. Anyhoo, there i was laid up in a hedge bottom and i noticed a fox hobbling away from me. It was a very long shot for me, well over 200yds, so i aimed just over the top of his back and squeezed. Missed! But blow me down here he comes hobbling towards me this time. So i let him get a little closer and tried again. A nice hefty thwock told me I had got him! When i went to pick him up I found that he had a beautifully healed rear stump, and a real nasty bloody front offside paw that looked like it had been hit by a shotgun.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o80/Cin...sleglessfox.jpg

Dadsleglessfox.jpg

Never shot a legless fox before!

ft

Thanks Bb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't post pictures and now i can. I can do technology me--------- with help, obviously!

ft

Edited by flytie

Out after a roebuck tonight, couldn't get near him. Shame. Anyhoo, there i was laid up in a hedge bottom and i noticed a fox hobbling away from me. It was a very long shot for me, well over 200yds, so i aimed just over the top of his back and squeezed. Missed! But blow me down here he comes hobbling towards me this time. So i let him get a little closer and tried again. A nice hefty thwock told me I had got him! When i went to pick him up I found that he had a beautifully healed rear stump, and a real nasty bloody front offside paw that looked like it had been hit by a shotgun.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o80/Cin...sleglessfox.jpg

Never shot a legless fox before!

ft

I can't post the picture, only the link! Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong please?

ft

Well done the fox is better off dead a lame fox is worse than an able fox at times. As for 200yrd if you dont aim at it you wont hit it really its not that far & most normal hunting rifles zeroed at 100yrds will have little drop out to 200yrd. I always zero on the top outer edge of an 1" circle/box at 97-100m.

Surely a fox wouldn't heal in the wild from a lost limb....Infection would set in and it would starve to death waiting for it to heal.....Could this be a case of the RSPCA releasing them after surgery....??

Nice shooting mate...Well done.. :good::lol:

You'd be surprised what animals can survive. I've seen plenty of 3 legged hares, deer, foxes etc and other injuries besides all of which have healed nicely. Think of a wounded dog, licks itself clean, saliva may have some healing power, and bingo no infection. And you're unlikely to meet the ones that do get infected and die.

Edited by Highlander