Considering changing .17HMR for .22Hornet

andythechicken

As above, the main reason for changing is that my FEO will not allow the HMR (Anchutz 1517) or .22LR that I have to be used for foxes.

I have a CZ Style .22LR that is perfect for vermin up to say 80 yards. Beyond this the HMR comes out but to be honest I don't use it that much prefering the CZ.

I've heard a few good reports on the .22 Hornet and the ammo is very cheap for a centrefire. Accuracy should be good enough for headshots on rabbits out to 120yds and fox to 180yds. The bullet being twice as heavy as HMR is not affected by the wind so much.

Just wondered what anyone views were particularly those that may have used both. Would probably buy a new CZ 527. Again any views on choice.

Cheers

Andy

Personally I think that's a great swap. When I bought my Hornet I've probably used my HMR twice and that was just to justify it being there! If you want a HMR type gun that will take Fox then the Hornet is it. The bigger .22s are great but they're in a different league and unless you need the range they are just too much gun! A Hornet will rip a big hole in a Rabbit though, so if you want to eat then it's head shots only as I'm sure you're aware.

I've moved on to a .17 Ackley Hornet now, just because I wanted to learn about case forming and making custom ammo. I still have my .22H and it's for sale. I'll PM you about that. :good:

A Hornet very much is a dual purpose rabbit/fox rifle. Yes, you will annihilate a rabbit with it, but HMR is pretty messy too. The cost is similar, but YOU HAVE TO RELOAD!

Factory hornet is never an assured supply, reloads are much cheaper and a tub of powder does about 600!

Reloading isn't hard, and you can quickly churn out ammo that will shoot well in a Hornet. WIth factory stuff MOA is about average, pretty good really.

With handloads, I shot a 1/2 inch 4-shot group at 225 yards the other week, so it can certainly shoot!

Good on foxes to about 180 yards, happily recommend it. But you do need to reload!