Decoying Pigeons with Floaters

Robbo123

<_< to the forum. You really need to be looking in the Pigeon Shooting/Tips & Tricks and Pigeon Shooting/Talk From The Field sections.

I'm new to decoying myself however I'm sure there are plenty people here to help out. I did notice something on THL about placing bouncers and a rotary in the pattern:

decoy-pattern3.gif

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/html/section...n-shooting.html

Edited by smiiithy

Robbo ,

It really is a matter of trial and error . The horseshoe pattern of decoys is one of the best methods of putting out your coys but will not always work . Just lately I have been putting my coys out in small groups about 20 yards apart within shooting distance of my hide . Ther are to many variables in using magnets ,flappers , floaters and any other thing that may incourage birds into the coys . You really do have to be prepared to move this stuf about to get the best results . I have just about gone back to basics with my decoying , no magnet ,but two or three floaters . As soon as you shoot a bird bring in a plastic decoy and set the dead birds up on cradles or prickers . I have been accused of being old school on this forum and do you know what ,I am . Dead birds put out for decoys are far ,far better than any plastic decoy or mechanical aid . Try it .

Harnser .

Another thing you should do ,is to spend time watching pigeons landing on a field to feed . You will notice that pigeons will commit to a field in random order and will land randomely from any direction turning into the wind at the very last second to land . you can have 50 decoys out , and one bird will land on the other side of the field and all the following birds will land on the single live bird . Thats when the numbers will start to build . You can leave these birds to attract more birds and hope they will come to you or you can bang them off and hope they come to your pattern . Its all trial and error .

Harnser .

cheers for this I agree with your old school methods and I do quite a bit of shooting with my decoys but i don't like the magnet either i have one but i think it just scares them off (apart from ferell pigeons they love a pigeon magnet) but this is very helpful as i am about to start using Floaters with my decoys. Can you recomend any websites or anywhere where I can buy floaters that i can put a dead pigeon as well s decoy fits on to?:yes:?? Thanks a lot!!

Edited by Robbo123

cheers for this I agree with your old school methods and I do quite a bit of shooting with my decoys but i don't like the magnet either i have one but i think it just scares them off (apart from ferell pigeons they love a pigeon magnet) but this is very helpful as i am about to start using Floaters with my decoys. Can you recomend any websites or anywhere where I can buy floaters that i can put a dead pigeon as well s decoy fits on to?:yes:?? Thanks a lot!!

Mine were bought from this sites sponcers , UK shoot warehouse .

Harnser .

• 4 weeks later...