Bitch spaying

darren m

never had a working bitch ESS before -- shes still young at 13 months , and i,m not sure if i want to yet

but

i,m wondering if spaying will hinder her working ability for the future

what age would be best , had 1st season , and phantom few months ago.

i know vets advise it and i have done so in the past , just want other opinions

thanks

The biggest thing I think is food after spaying, the dog hasn't got all the hormones racing round and doesn't use up as much energy, therefore requires less food, Lots of people saying how there dogs got fat after neutering/spaying, but aslong as you adjust the food accordingly you should be fine :lol:

I am also undecided as to whether to get my lab done :P

Not sure you want my opinion as I'm a vet but I'll give it anyway!

If you don't intend to breed from her then it is best to spay her. Many older female dogs get a condition called a pyometra, which is a life threataning womb infection later in life.

Copy and pasted from another post of mine:

This is an area that causes much confusion and argument especially between vets. There has been much research done into this.

The issues:

If you spay a bitch before her first season the chances of her getting mammary tumours is almost zero. As the bitch has each season the chances of her getting mammary tumours increases, until middle age when there is no protective benefit (a 5 y/o bitch gets no protection).

If you spay a bitch before her first season there is a much higher chance of her suffering urinary incontinence, that will require treatment for life. Having just 1 season significantly reduces the chances of this. (although urinary incontinence is something we see occasionally in spayed bitched)

Around a third of unspayed bitches get a condition called pyometra where the womb becomes infected and full of puss. This requires an emergency spay when the bitch is old and sick and is therefore more expensive and a much higher risk.

My preference is to spay a bitch 3 months after her first season - I see it as a good compromise between reducing the risk of mammary tumours without a great chance of a dog peeing in the house for years!

If you want to know more I will be pleased to answer. Other vets may have different views!

:blink:

Thats a very good post there folks!! I'll be asking questions on it later.

Still a very slight risk of incontinence, and remember, as soon as they've been spayed they require about 30% less calories.

We can only advise -but we do see a lot more female dogs then most people, and we're not all money grabbing #########'s, not all the time anyway :blink:

Jim

what a coincidence , she just started her second season yesterday , thats her out of action for a few weeks :unsure:

inbetween these 2 seasons she as also had a phantom , and her milk was leaking from teats and off food etc .

does this mean she will always get these spayed or not -- or does spaying cure it.

thanks lads ???

what a coincidence , she just started her second season yesterday , thats her out of action for a few weeks :good:

inbetween these 2 seasons she as also had a phantom , and her milk was leaking from teats and off food etc .

does this mean she will always get these spayed or not -- or does spaying cure it.

thanks lads :good:

She will have no more seasons and no phantom pregnancies once she is spayed!

(side note: if you spay a bitch after she had been in season, but within 2 months of the season they can have a bad phantom pregnancy due to the sudden withdrawal of the hormones, but only as a one off)

As said once you spay a bitch. she will no longer have seasons or phantoms pregnancy's. Wait until 3 months after first season if you are adamant that is what you want to do :stupid:

exactly what i,ve just done got jess back at 3.30pm this afternoon from the vets after being spayed apart from being sleepy she seems ok

Edited by hodge911