hull solway magnum

i have just got 250 hull solway magnums :yp: , and just wanted to check that my gun was definatley ok for them :hmm: , my classic sporting has 3 inch chambers, has "steel shot" stamped on each barrel, and it bears the fluer de lys symbol, is it suitable for these cartridges :blush:

lowlander

i have just got 250 hull solway magnums :yp: , and just wanted to check that my gun was definatley ok for them :hmm: , my classic sporting has 3 inch chambers, has "steel shot" stamped on each barrel, and it bears the fluer de lys symbol, is it suitable for these cartridges :blush:

lowlander

Check this link - http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/products/ga...ay_steel_12.cfm

Seems to confirm that they are ok in your gun.

thanks alot for that mate do you think they'll be ok for geese :blush: theyre in size 3 shot if that helps :hmm:

lowlander

I'm not sure, I've never shot anything larger than a duck :yp:

But I'm sure there are others on this forum who can give you much better advice than I can. The general rule seems to be to go up 2 shot sizes when converting from lead to steel. So if, pre toxic shot ban, you used no 3 lead shot, you'd use no 1 shot in steel. Or putting it another way, no 3 steel shot is equivalent to no 5s in lead. If you're shooting over decoys at close range perhaps steel 3s are okay... but a bit light for longer range shots?

I'm in over my head on this one. Perhaps someone else can offer advice, based on his/her experience.

If the advice is that you should use heavier shot, would the shop you bought them from do a swap? I once bought the wrong subsonic .22 ammo and the shop was quite happy to change them.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by brno223

I shot two geese this weekend with only 31 grammes of 4's....Hevi shot mind.

The solway's are a 34 or 36g load? If your range is up to 40 yards you will be fine

AIUI, Hevishot is denser than lead and much denser than steel. It's about 10% denser than lead and over 50% denser than steel. So your 4s are prolly almost equivalent to lead 3s, whereas steel 3s are about the same in striking power as lead 5s. Were lead 5s ok for geese?

This extract from a PDF on the Hevishot page of http://www.lyalvaleexpress.com/UK/index.htm provides more detail -

"Hevishot is a dull metallic grey compound metal. It's a combination of Tungsten, Nickel, and

Iron, amalgamated in approximately a 50%, 35% and 15% mix, respectively. Hevishot has an

average density of 12.0g/cc (grams per centimetre cubed), which is greater than the 11.4g/cc

for pure lead, 10.9g/cc for the high antimony premium hunting lead shot and approximately

7.87g/cc for steel shot. This makes Hevishot approximately 10% heavier than premium

hunting lead and 52% heavier than steel when comparing similarly sized pellets."

The article doesn't mention Bismuth but, according to the Eley Hawk website, it has a density of 9.3 so it's slightly less dense than lead.

I've never used Hevi shot, and never shot geese. But when shooting duck the rule I work to is to go up 1 shot size from lead for bismuth (5 shot rather than 6) and 2 shot sizes for steel (4 shot rather than 6).

Cheers,

Steve

Lowlander your Hull Solway steel in 3s are ideal for duck shooting , but unless they are very close no 3 pelletts are a bit on the small size for large birds like geese. Yes you will fluke a few down at 40 yards , but you idealy need steel in at least BB or use have shot\tungstun in 3s or 1s. Even the steel BBs needs one of the special chokes such as wigeon wad or undertaker to get the best out of them. The majority of my geese ( and i shot a far number each season ) are shot with Steel BBB or if they are going to be a bit high ( 50 yards ) hevi shot 3s.

Remember the rule for steel. move up at least two shot sizes for steel compared with lead. So if you used to use 5s for duck in lead go up to 3s or 2s if flighting mallard . If you used to shoot 3s or 1s in lead for geese go up to BB or BBB. But with the latter sized shot the patterns are thin so to counter this use one of the special full steel chokes. With my super choke I get 60% patterns in a 30 inch circle ( 61 pellets ) at 50 yards with Winchester 1 9\16 oz steel BBB.

Edited by anser2