Big Shot !

AJAX

I've recently been given some Eley 36gm AAA cartridges and some Gamebore special load SG's I'm unsure how heavy the load is, but each shell contains about 12 pellets. I've used a few of the AAA's on foxes at up to about 20 yards and they seem to work fine. I shot them through a half choke. I would like to try the SG's but the pellets are few and they are huge ! Can they be fired through half choke or more, or am I better off using less choke to keep some sort of pattern ?

AJAX

I apologise for stating the obvious, but I wouldn't use the Gamebore special load SG's, until I had clearly established the load size, to make sure my gun was capable of firing the round.

Also, I always check out carefully the condition of any loose cartridges given to me.

Look for bulging along the sides and end of the cartridge and any rusting or discolouration of the brass head.

Normally, I politely decline such gifts.

Ooops

Ant before you take that thing out I'd get someone who knows to have a look at it and I don't mean your pecker! :D Seriously chokes is (should be) basic knowledge stuff don't go using that thing until you know what it'll take.

Also a good idea to fill out your profile a bit more, i.e. where your located then maybe someone on here might meet up and give you some help.

Cheers fellas, I think I'd best try them through cyl choke ! There is definately 12 pellets in each shell and they feel about the same weight as the AAA's in the hand and they appear to be in good condition. Any ideas as to what the intended use they would of been manufactured for ? Also what is the largest shot size/load weight that you would recommend shootind through chokes of any sort ? I currently shoot a silver pigeon 3 with 3 inch chambers and I'm keen to experiment with some of the heavier loads and shot sizes primarily for foxes at ranges past the 20 yard mark.

Regards AJAX

If they are SG`s then there are too many pellets in for it to be a game cart. as there are 8 SG`s to the ounce.They are probably either "SpecialSG" or "SSG" 11 and 15 to the ounce respectively and my advice is to use them for target practice.If you can measure them accurately they should be -SG 8.4mm or .33 in-Spec SG 7.6mm or .30in-SSG 6.8 mm or .27 in-AAA 5.2mm or .20 in(35 to the oz).Try patterning them and I think you will find at 40 yds the gaps are huge,yes the penetration will be huge,at 20yds I know from experience 4`s will kill a fox no bother at all.Choke with this size of shot is negligible over the whole range so don`t worry,however as you may have found is that they kick like hell :D

Edited by henry d