Encouraging new shooters

chrispti

Although it is good to get the next generation into pigeon shooting / pest control or what ever you prefer to call it, but how many of you would then be happy to share your permission(s) with the ''up and comming'' :lol:

Also

Lets say you turned up to shoot one day and found a person you introduced to the sport, has then approached the land owner, and then themselves been given permission to shoot on your permission :lol:

Just interested to hear other peoples views :unsure:

Although it is good to get the next generation into pigeon shooting / pest control or what ever you prefer to call it, but how many of you would then be happy to share your permission(s) with the ''up and comming'' :lol:

Also

Lets say you turned up to shoot one day and found a person you introduced to the sport, has then approached the land owner, and then themselves been given permission to shoot on your permission :lol:

Just interested to hear other peoples views :unsure:

why would that matter as it can sometimes work in favour especially if you know the other person, because between you, you can cover more fields at a time

This is a real problem but I have found it not to hard to find the good from the bad .

Boy I have been on this forum only a month but it clear already who I would share permission with and who not ,which is a real shame for the not group after non constrtive comments you talk **** about your bag sizes etc etc.

So if you meet young shoots in the flesh I think it quite clear the plonkers from the real keen to learn types.

I also make it very clear to them that going behind my back is big no no .

I find a little chat about respect for me and I will respect you always helps its taken me 20 years to get the land today I have not got it by slipping in behind others backs.

But by being know for polite respectful good manners and if I turn up on a field with somebody shooting to leave the field well alone and let them get on with it.

Unlike a well know shooter who turning up on a field I was shooting take two of my bird from my pattern and setting up 100 yards away from me and F%%%G my day up.

So you have to be brave to allow and share your permission but I have also found it rewarding to share my knowledge and also learn from others.

Regards OTH

im a new shooter (and i hope i still count as young) and i would love land to shoot over...

if someone was kind enough to let me accompany them/introduce me i wouldnt dream of going behind their back in order to gain permission to shoot at the same place and if i did gain a permission i'd like to think i could offer the favour back to the person helped me.

Surely there are ethics involved with shooting?

if someone offers you an opportunity do you then stab them in the back in order to fill your own bag?

trust has to be an issue here? if i didnt trust someone not to stab me in the back - whos to stop them shooting me in it too :good::)

as i've probably said a thousand time since moving here a year ago i have not been able to find any permission it all seems to be syndicated i would love the oppertunity for someone to take me on there permission with them, i've only had my tickets for 2 years and there's plenty still to learn, i prefere shooting with somone else anyway not just for the safety aspect but if its a quiet day the banter keeps you occupied, i don't see the point stabbing anyone in the back for a few acres though all you do is make an enemy,

saying that i do know a guy who has taken me out with him one afternoon and 1 he's a danger and 2 he never goes out, i started going round for cuppa's regularly to get to know him and in the 4-5months he went out once and after getting to know him and his attitude decided best to keep away if i wanted to keep my tickets, i did consider going to the land owner and asking for permission as wouldn't really be stepping on the guys toes as he barely shoots it, but couldn't be bothered with the confrontation if i bumped in to him one day as he's a bit of a ***.

so if there is anyone from the gainsborough area who wants to share there knowledge with a reasonably new shooter please pm me i've got insurance and all my own lamping/pigeon shooting kit and am keen to learn

gary

I have took 5 or 6 lads out off this site and i dont mind doing that as i am in the fortunate position of having lot's of land spread out over about 10 farms and i can do any type of shooting on there bar goose !

I know it is hard to get permission when you are not known to any farmers and i am all for getting young uns into shooting BUT........There is one farm where i took one lad off here(still a member)that has suffered a spate of poaching since :good: The farmer described a vehicle he seen one night.....same as the lads i took out :good: Also one night i was driving up the used railway line and noticed another vehicle further up the track so i reversed and drove around on the road to the top of the railway line but by the time i got there they had beat me to it.About 200 yards before i got to the top a car.....same as the lad i took out B) drove past me in the opposite direction.There are a few other factors which i wont go into on here but i am 90% sure that it is the same person.

It has made me wary and it does spoil it for others but it has not totally put me off taking others out and i had someone out the other day and a nice chap he was too but unfortunately not everyone is the same.

On the whole though i would say a day or two here and there to encourage young guns is a good thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Even here in the US, we have chaps that think once you take them to a spot for hunting, that they now have an open door to go anytime and without you!! We need to get the youngsters participating in our sport, but they also should learn to repsect the person and the land they are "sneaking in on" when you are not around. In time, they can find themselves in the same spot you are in now, and wondering why They have no respect!!! Thanks to you all, that do give the new shooters an opportunity.....Hope it is a Positive task for you.

hi all im new to shooting and it is very hard to get land, i suppose it boils down to the fact that if somebody is kind enough to let you go out with them and you take the !£$% by stabbing them in the back or being a %$£! then you dont deserve to be helped, admittedly it is these types of people for the honest types like me and many others that generally dont have anyone to point them in the wright direction or to share there many years of experience with that they ruin it for. But karma always gets these people . I think its a shame that selfish people would take the "£$£ of someones good will just to better there own situation. We all need guidance and i can totaly understand why some people wouldnt want to make the commitment !!!!!!!!!! Shame realy because we all want our sport to live on for our kids!!!!!!

i live in somerset and am 21 have just got my fac and sgc and am finding it real hard to get permission. the trouble is a while back i asked a local farmer if i could do a spot of shooting in his wood one evening and his reply was, yes thats fine with me but you have to ask "chris", hes like the don of all things shooting in my village. so i went to his house and asked him and his reply was NO!, even though he can hardly walk through a bad back and rarely goes out!!!!! nightmare

Im coming up 20 and i've been using air guns since i was 12 or so, but recently i've been fortunate enough to go out with a local man who has permission on over 500acres, he is an invaluable source of information and general banter, we've been out taking rabbits getting on 30 times now and i finally plucked up the courage to ask about my own FAC and he said he would happily sign one of my references, and also take me to the land owners. i think if you approach it in the right way people show you respect in return! i'm just really gratefully for his time and putting up with me! definitely got me into the sport!

anyway just my 2 cents

yeah sounds similar to me, i go out with another chap from my village and a pw member and like you said without his knowledge, equiptment and permission i would really be struggling. he also signed my fac and sorted me out with a great 17hmr. he has helped me out a great deal apart from his women advise lol. but its nice to have your own bit of permission and not having to relie on anyone!

Ive been lucky enough to go out on afew trips now with lads on this site, good banter, sharing knowledge and generally having a good day shooting.

The girlfriends family have a couple of pony fields and her 16 year old nephew is keen as mustard and asked me to take him. One of there fields has a wood to the side so i said i would take him... more to show him the set up etc thinking we might not really get many shots.

As we walked up the lane the farm next door had 400 pigeon feeding on the rape, next thing his uncle pops through the hedge... he had just been telling the farmer ( who he knew ) that we was shooting and the farmer said we could have a crack at the pigeons, GREAT STUFF.

Within 20mins we had moved onto the field and set up under a sitty tree a third into the field, shot 7 pigeons... not many granted but it wasnt planned, the lad shot his first 2 birds with a shotgun and hopefully we might get another invite.

Just shows that anything can happen... keep the young'uns interested, behave, chat with people and share the knowledge.

I had a great day... the smile on his face said he did too.

I've taken a few of the Herts lads out on to my permissions & have ended up with some great mates, introducing me to their farmers & permissions & giving me cart blanch to go out whenever I want. The thing is personally, I would feel like I was boning their Missus going there without them or without them knowing.

SS