Narrow boat holiday

Guest rimotu66

Guest rimotu66

The g'friend has told me that we HAVE to have a holiday next year, we both fancy a week on a narrow boat, I went on 3 with my folks when I was a lad and they where the best holidays I ever had.

Any thoughts on which canals to do , does anyone have one that they hire out ?

The g'friend has told me that we HAVE to have a holiday next year, we both fancy a week on a narrow boat, I went on 3 with my folks when I was a lad and they where the best holidays I ever had.

Any thoughts on which canals to do , does anyone have one that they hire out ?

Hi I have in my time had 3 narrowboats in the Northampton area, Braunston is recognised as being the crossroads of the canal system, from there you can travel anywhere you please, down to London if you are feeling brave leading onto the tidal Thames.

The Coventry canal is not too arduous with just a few locks and miles of beautiful open countryside, beware the Bingley flight of locks they will take your breath away this is a vast feat of engineering,and will take half a day to navigate, then you have to return down them as a week will not allow you to do a ring unless you are a crew of fit lads?

The Oxford canal will take you through a few more locks and interesting swing bridges, I would advise you to buy a copy of the Nicholsons guide to cover your chosen route, it will give you details of your proposed holiday including mileages, bridge numbers for positioning, shops and villages you will pass through, together with an idea of how many locks before you reach the pub!!

Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions, be glad to help, have a good holiday.

Rgds Rob.

We did the Shropshire Union and more. Great holiday. Being a bit potty we also took two weeks over Christmas/new year 2005. That came to and abrupt end when the cut froze over and we had to dump the boat. We lasted into the new years though. Oh yeah, the prop broke right outside a sewerage works nr Wolverhampton. Took em 24 hours to get us going again. Gawd what a ronk. It was horrible.

The Shroppie is a nice canal, plenty of pubs, towns and small villages-recommended.

Guest rimotu66

Thanks for all the great advice guys, as its just me and the g'friend going I think we might leave the stairs for our first try if its all the same.... :good:

Rob, will hold you to your offer and be in touch nearer the time if thats ok.

Cheers.

Jon. :rolleyes:

i never got the chance of a narrowboat but have been on the norfolk broads.i have to say it was one of the most relaxing holidays i ever was on. something nice about trundling down the rivers on a boat.i would thoroghly reccomend it mate.i`m sure the scenery will be stunning.i would go again tomorrow.don`t like the hustle and bustle of foreign beach holidays

We took a 65 footer out last November with the parents and inlaws. What a ....ing nightmare. The bigger boats are a bit of a handful and you have to anticipate everything miles before. Me & my dad have been around 'proper' boats for years and got a feel for it pretty quickly but everyone wants a go at steering and some have to be watched like a hawk 'cos they seem to think it handles like a sports car. I spent a whole afternoon hiding down below out of sheer embarrasment, we must have bounced off 20 other boats and rattled through every bridge like a pinball. Brother in law fell off and nearly go mashed against the bank...niece threw a teenage strop all week...sister got propositioned by a randy pub landlord and demanded that I lamped him...Having said all that its a great way to spend a week if you are in no hurry and plan your route properly. 3 point turns are not an option and if you miss a turning point it could be half a day till you get to the next one!

The best time for me was the really early starts when everyone else was still in bed, just coming light, chugging along at walking pace watching all the wildlife. Lovely. I'd go again in a heartbeat as long as I didn't have to take the family.

Edited by Diceman