price of steel carts (ni mainly)

anyone got any idea what the average price is you should be paying for 12ga steel shot? our boxing day shoot is over a lake so we need to use steel, i bought 275 carts today, 175 from one shop, 100 from another. the first batch the shop only had 175 left, and it was 32gm no 5's (thatll be fun for clays), and they were going at £6.99 a box (25). the second shop were only able to give me 100 28g 7.5's, and they were £4 a box. first ones seemed a bit of a rip off to me, but beggars cant be choosers so coughed up for them, just wondering what sort of money everyone else is paying?

ps there seems to be a major shortage of steel shot at the mo, i got the last ones from two shops, and was told a third shop (tannkyoky) was totally out of it!

The 7.5 steel are no good for live birds their range as too short , you will wound anything over 30 yards and smash anything closer than 20 yards. Even the no 5s are a bit small for duck. I would suggest 4 as a minimum size and if your gun can take the pressures 3s or 2 are much better for mallard.

As for price , my local gunshop does Gamebore 32gr at £5.60 for 25.

Edited by anser2