Bigger load for tough birds

1 of 5

I use 31 g no 6 for everything but geese  and as long as you stick to  a reasonable range you should find you will kill consistently. Remember its pattern that kills, if you have a good pattern at 30 to 35 mtrs with a particuler type of cart;Stick with it because you will end up with more in the bag in the long run.

• 3 weeks later...
:) I know I am showing my ignorance here but am going to ask anyway.When I read of cartridges and chokes giving good patterns,I am at a loss to know how you can tell other than shooting at pattern plates or sheets of paper etc.Do all the cartridges of one type all show the same pattern and does the choke used also give the same pattern.This topic has always puzzled me but not wanting to waste a load of cartridges I have never tried the experiment myself. Tell me please. :what:

You can normaly tell how good the pattern is when you look at the shot birds, an even covering of shot is a good sign.

To match shot to choke:

Large shot will have fewer pelets but go further therefore you need a tighter choke to regain the patern.

small shot will have the pelets closer together, but wont travel so far so spread them out at shorter ranges with an open choke.

I have a book writen in the 60's that puts maths to this and comes up with no. 7 shot for pigeon through IC choke.

The calculations are based on energy in shot, number needed to kill cleanly, size of target.

An interesting result was that No. 5 shot has extra range, but was imposible to choke the patern enough to have an effective paturn at the extended range.

ie on pigeon 5 not good, 6 + tighter choke good, 7 + open choke best. therefore I go for 6.5. I beleve this is the reason that Eley went for 6.5 in their pigeon loads.

You may find the 7's would give you cleaner kills.

This is what Archie Coats found, in his later editions he says that this was the case when he ran out of 6's and used 7's.

Later in life he switched to 7's because of the cleaner kill.

In order to clean kill you need to hit vital organs. As 7's will do this at most normal ranges (I think the maths say that for standard velocities thats about 37 yards for pigeon), the denser patter will give you more chance of a vital organ hit and hence the reduction of runners.

My o/u is a fixed choke Browning Game gun with chokes of 1/4 and 3/4 so unlike my multi-choke auto I am stuck with no choice.I have found that the 30grm 6,s seem to work satisfactory,except if the second shot is taken too close when the bird is coming towards me and not going farther away as it normally would.At close range with the 3/4 choke i either miss or blow the bird to bits.With this type of gun would you agree with the 6,s or not? As i said it works O.K. but we all like to try something differant if we think it will make the day better. :*)

• 1 month later...

With crows I think the trick is to use abit of choke.  1/2 and 3/4 are my choice.  As for shot size, 6s will do fine.  

The unregistered chap who said 36 gram loads were all he used for geese will be shocked to hear that I have just spent the winter pigeon shooting with 36 gram 5 and 6s.  The results were devastating, but fatigue was a major factor later in the day.

Your dead right mark 1.  The choice of cartridge I mentioned was an experiment.  Myself and a mate decided to see what a 12 bore with the right load and choke was capable of in terms of range.

I won't go into the results because they were something you could only dream of with your 20 g.  I would say though that it is the choke that is most important when it comes to killing, but the extra lead in a pattern helps.

As for the man thats using yes I agree it is,but one things certain mark you dont know the man that is using it in this case. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

William, you have got me wrong me thinks.  I dont underestimate the 20 bore, I have used them to great effect.  The 12 bore is without doubt better down range than the 20 bore, but the 20 bore has its place with many people for several reasons, weight being one major factor.

One thing to consider in the 12 vs 20 argument is why do all the countries top clay shots use 12 bores? Answer is more lead is more beneficial, less muzzle flip- straighter shooting, bigger patterns more effecient down range.

A 410 is as lethal as most gauges at the right range in the right hands William, my point being when it comes to small targets at longer ranges the 12 is more suitable.

Mark 1, anytime any place, lets get it on!

Where are you from anyway Mark 1,  I feel a bit of a challenge at a sporting layout comming on.

I'm from a little village called Parbold.

I think a clay shoot would be a better test on the 12 vs 20. do you do any clay shooting? I may be at blackpool clay shoot very soon so I'll let you know and we can have the mismatch if you want. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I do have some very good pigeon shooting, although a bit bleak at the moment, just waiting for the spring sowing to start.

I read that the figures from the us clay organisations record all results by bore. the differenc between 20 and 12 is 4%. For most of us mortals ths B. all. I dont think in the pigeon hide you would notice. For snap shooting in woods the light weight 20 sxs in my hands way out performs my old 12 o/u.

With modern guns 30g of lead through 1/2 choke will behave almost the same what ever the bore.( except the very small 28 and worst 410)

Read: "Shotgunning the art and the science" by Brister

All I can say Nghost is that I've put a lot of shots through both 12 and 20 bore over & unders and the 12 bore is the better option on longer targets.

I am considering the purchase of a 28 bore for close range decoy work and walked up game.  So I've certainly no hard feelings against the smaller bored guns, they all have their place and its whatever takes your fancy.