foxing ferrets

tanjipete

t to the r to the oll.

Not necessarily, I have bolted foxes out of 18" diameter road drains with two ferrets and also had one bolt from an earth that was the other side of the bank from a warren I was netting.

These occasions were accidents and its not something I would do deliberately.

exactly cranfield , its never intentional to try to bolt them with ferrets ,my top workers are far to valuable to be chopped by charlie, all ferreters know the value of a good ferret as for me mine are priceless , seriously though i reckon a good guaranteed worker is never for sale , i can tell when charlies at home ,its just that im letting my son learn the ropes ,hes not clicked all the signs yet & its a revalation for him when they bolt ,now hes learning the signs of when a rat or stoat is at home by watching the ferrets behavior ,every trip out its a learning curve .hes doing well ,he can take over soon ,then i can retire (over my dead body ha ha ) :yes::sly:

Never have done in 26 years of ferreting due to good fieldcraft if you put your ferts into a bury and bolt charlie then you are not doing your job propley IMO .

18 inch road drains I never heard of such poor animail care Imo what if that road drain heads 30 feet under tarmac and gets laid up .

My number one goal is to insure the care of all my working animails and to reduce the risk to them and putting ferts in drains is no way to treat a fert,just like running a running dog into wire .

Harsh I know but a fact.

Regards OTH

I did hear of some boy doing it deliberately :rolleyes: he seemed to think haveing extreamely big ferrets they wouldnt get hurt!

I think its cruel to a good working ferret, sooner or later theyl be dead if its on purpose if its a one off would be understandable maby theres something not quite right if its happened 3 times?

excuse me but dont you have patterdales down your way? a fox with one snap would kill a fert. thats not there use. guys dont close your eyes with your trousers down cover your nuts the antis are around. :rolleyes:

Edited by bobbo

After rereading his post starts with I have bolted 3 charlies and then changes to my boy has bolted three charlies.

Strange OTH

if you take the time to read my post properly ,i was out with my son ,not blaming my son , i cant check every hole we net when some warrens have over 80 nets to set like i say hes learning ,or maybe i should let him sit down while i crawl about under briars & hedges for an hour to make sure every hole is checked & nets set properly ,ive ferreted over 600 rabbits in the last 5 weeks ,how many have you had :rolleyes:

Never have done in 26 years of ferreting due to good fieldcraft if you put your ferts into a bury and bolt charlie then you are not doing your job propley IMO .

18 inch road drains I never heard of such poor animail care Imo what if that road drain heads 30 feet under tarmac and gets laid up .

My number one goal is to insure the care of all my working animails and to reduce the risk to them and putting ferts in drains is no way to treat a fert,just like running a running dog into wire .

Harsh I know but a fact.

Regards OTH

If you had read my post carefully , you would have seen that I did mention that these occasions were accidental.

The 18" drain pipe was next to a warren in an unused ash track and was obviously broken, so the ferrets accessed it from the warren.

So there are a couple of people on this topic that have never had anything go a little bit different to how they planned it? I guess we should all assume you're perfect? It's rude to assume that others are treating their animals badly and have a go at them for it.

Chaps like Cranfield and Mark have been on here long enough and have posted enough for you to know they're good at what they do. Sometimes things happen that aren't planned, especially when the tools of your hobby are living and have their own ideas!

I stand by my reply be it a normal poster or a mod I dont confess to be perfect but stay well clear of trouble like burys near roads drains or fox earths bagders .

There is plenty of rabbiting without getting tangle up with problems that can be reduced by common sense.

And just because you have been doing things for years does not mean you know what you are at .

You have ferreted 500 in five weeks thats cracking going and good luck I dont get into number any more on this forum .

But like I said 26 years ferreting and never bolted a charlie have caught and still catch rabbits in the numbers you talk.

Regards Simon AKA OTH

Edited by Over the hill

Not necessarily, I have bolted foxes out of 18" diameter road drains with two ferrets and also had one bolt from an earth that was the other side of the bank from a warren I was netting.

These occasions were accidents and its not something I would do deliberately.

I may have misread your post cranfield

But it reads if you have entered your ferts into a drain and the accident was that charlie was In the drain .

And you was entering them into a drain after rabbits.

Regards Simon

I stand by my reply be it a normal poster or a mod I dont confess to be perfect but stay well clear of trouble like burys near roads drains or fox earths bagders .

There is plenty of rabbiting without getting tangle up with problems that can be reduced by common sense.

And just because you have been doing things for years does not mean you know what you are at .

You have ferreted 500 in five weeks thats cracking going and good luck I dont get into number any more on this forum .

But like I said 26 years ferreting and never bolted a charlie have caught and still catch rabbits in the numbers you talk.

Regards Simon AKA OTH

Foxes aren't always in fox earths. I know the ones my father has bolted and shot with the ferrets have been bolted from rabbit burrows. I'm sorry but if you had common sense like you say you do, you will realise that from time to time different animals will share the same earth and from time to time that will be fox and rabbit.

Foxes aren't always in fox earths. I know the ones my father has bolted and shot with the ferrets have been bolted from rabbit burrows. I'm sorry but if you had common sense like you say you do, you will realise that from time to time different animals will share the same earth and from time to time that will be fox and rabbit.

good point ollie, but them that know already know this mate. :blink:

One key word SMELL

• 1 month later...

Harsh I know but a fact.

Regards OTH

I dont know what you are on about because sometimes the fox abandons a den and rabbits move in and so on i have done rabbit sets and foxes hve come out but i have done so called fox dens and had plenty rabbits out of them so i think that its the area you are in that matters not just your fieldcraft and also my granda who was working ferrets all his days ,when he was alive said the same thing and he had been ferreting for over 57 years so HMMMM:hmm: