TRU TRACER SHELLS

I used them years ago on a duck shoot. I could barely tell I was shooting a tracer but the other guns could. They traced to about 50 odd metres. The downside is that they are actually illegal hence why they aint made any more. Apparently the tracer projectile was too big or something like that.

I used them years ago on a duck shoot. I could barely tell I was shooting a tracer but the other guns could. They traced to about 50 odd metres. The downside is that they are actually illegal hence why they aint made any more. Apparently the tracer projectile was too big or something like that.

yikes, wot do i do with them then? no wonder someone gave me them!!

The tracer element was 6mm in diameter .240" and the length was 7 mm .280" both dimensions are smaller than the maximum sized shot allowed .360" and therefore are legal to have in a shotgun cartridge ,The reason Tru trace stopped being available was due to the guy who made them had a bit of an accident , He used to fill the insert with pyrotechnic compound himself in an outbuilding but he had a bit of a unexpected ignition problem a little bit more than burnt eyebrows and singed hair and after recovering he kicked it into touch and sold Ian at clay and game his stock ,A couple of hundred thousand of the wads but not the inserts .

A company in America has recently given up making and selling the tracer wads and inserts and was trying to sell half a million of them off for 3 cents each so that might be where just cartridges supplies might be coming from.

Edited by Andy H

I have read that the tracer does not follow the same trajectory as the shot. If this is the case then they're not a lot of use, unfortunately.

Anybody know differently?

Thats right, the pellet is much bigger and lighter (pro rata) so will slow down much quicker than the shot. Don't worry though, just use them up, They are still cartridges and they still go bang.