trouble with my 17hmr

harps

just need a bit of advice really, after many shooting trips i decided to put in for my combined fac and sgc whcih i know have. i have recently brought a `CZ 452 american second hand from my rdf for £200 without moderator and scope, the previous owner (so im told) thought he had a fault of some sort with it but i have been reassured by my rfd that this was not the case and has been serviced by his gun smith, the nature of this fault was unknown. i have now brought a moderator and a bushnell legend which i had fitted at the sportsman gun shop. the trouble started when i tryed to sight it in. i can get it near enough but it fires around 3" to 4" all ways of centre which as you can imagine is very frustrating, and not to mention unsafe. the rounds i shoot are hornady v-max (the blue tipped ones.) any suggestons or advice would be very much apreciated.

joe

I had the same issue with my savage (which was nearly new when I bought it - now I know why), luckily I had access to a lathe at the time so I read up and cut a fancy new crown on it, unfortunately I've not got access to a lathe anymore but it solved the problem - try the other suggestions first though, they don'tinvolve any modifications :yp:

Is it me or are some of the suggestions are illogical. It is simply a zeroing problem, why start calling the crown into question at this stage?

Why would mis-aligned scope mounts make its shoot all over the place?, while the POI would change at different ranges it wouldn't make a difference shot to shot unless I am mis-understanding your diagnosis.

I would 1st shoot without a mod, then try a different scope all after a good clean. After that then I would look at floating the barrel, ammunition (mine is fussy and likes remington) and the crowns condition.

Edited by bennyblanco

Is it me or are some of the suggestions are illogical. It is simply a zeroing problem, why start calling the crown into question at this stage?

I read and re-read the original post just to make sure I understood what was going on.

If it was grouping something like doesn't matter where just has to group, then I'd be inclined to go with your prognosis.

But the guy says it's shooting all over the place and I quote"but it fires around 3" to 4" all ways of centre" and the fact that it had already been returned/sold due to a fault would suggest to me that it could indeed be the crown.

My 452 when I bought it new had exactly the same problem which turnd out to be a very small nick and burr at the crown which the smith said looks like it happened when factory screwcut.The smith re-crowned it and it was totally transformed shoots absolutely sweet as a nut.

Mike...

Hi Guys

I read your post with interest but if the crown is not the cause of the problem , I think it could be another reason, sometimes things happen to rifle barrels unknown to people of little experience, and no I am not mocking the novice we all have to start somewhere when shooting, some start young some middle aged and some mid to old age.

I personally do not think that it is a scope or zeroing problem !

I think the problem could be what is called a barrel bulge this is the slightest of ruptures inside the barrel cause by a wet round or a miss-fire, this sometimes happens in Target rifles, and we all know how thick the barrels are on them. They tell me it can happen on any type of weapon of any calibre, sometimes you can see it on the outside but sometimes you have to look through the barrel, an easy test is to put a jag on your cleaning rod and push it tightly but firmly through your barrel slowly if you at any time feel it ease or go suddenly mark your cleaning rod with a felt pen and then check inside and outside your barrel.

This bulge will sometimes make your rifle shoot OK through a clean barrel, then the first 5 or 10 shots after that it tends to scatter them all over the paper ! :yp:

If this is found to be the case, I'm afraid to say its a new barrel mate or a new rifle.

All the Best

Regards

Steve :)

Depending on it's age you could just try a thorough clean first. I'm new to my hmr but have shot a buddies rifle for a couple of years on his permission. He never cleaned his rifle and it was always bang on, then one day the shots started to wander all over the place. He tried re-zeroing and tightening the mounts but nothing worked until I suggested he may like to give it a clean (it'd had 100's of rounds through it).

A quick pull through and rod and it was back to being bang on the money again... maybe worth a try first?

As has been said, try without the mod.

If it still happens without the mod, then i would take it back, probably more effort than its worth on a 452.

If it doesn't then either your mod is faulty/not put together correctly or the thread has been cut off centre with the bore. Also possibly a poorly cut crown.

what distance are you zeroing in at?just a general question really.

try different ammo..federal v-shok or remingtons,shoot well in hmr and zero at 50 yrds to start.

if non of the suggestions work,take it back,as it will only frustrate you and give the gunshop the headache of sorting it or changing it..servicing can mean anything.

al

Hi Guys

Someone needs to take this Guy by his hand and not literally , Start by cleaning the rifle bore with some good bore cleaner swab out well ( Hoppes ) and dry well. test the barrel with the cleaning rod as previously said, check all the screws stock and scope mounts, do not over tighten, Now check the cleanliness of the sound Mod & the thread make sure she screws on straight , Now check the rifle Zero , if you like you can do this at first at 25 Yds 3-5 shots then 50Yds, 75Yds 100Yds. you should be getting a feeling for things , lets hope it works out for you.

All the best

Regards

Steve :good:

• 3 weeks later...