Best stock for venison/game casseroles?

955i

Homemade, it's doddle. Pheasant (or a couple of pigeon or partridge) carcase and giblets in a pan, add: a quartered onion; a carrot; a stick of celery; a couple of crushed garlic cloves; 5 or 6 peppercorns; 3 bay leaves; a sprig of thyme and rosemary; 3 or 4 juniper berries (optional). Cover with water and bring to the boil then simmer for about 3 hours and strain. Allow to cool then skim the fat of the top. You can freeze it in ice cube trays then place into freezer bags for future use.

Homemade, it's doddle. Pheasant (or a couple of pigeon or partridge) carcase and giblets in a pan, add: a quartered onion; a carrot; a stick of celery; a couple of crushed garlic cloves; 5 or 6 peppercorns; 3 bay leaves; a sprig of thyme and rosemary; 3 or 4 juniper berries (optional). Cover with water and bring to the boil then simmer for about 3 hours and strain. Allow to cool then skim the fat of the top. You can freeze it in ice cube trays then place into freezer bags for future use.

Thats one very handy tip never thought of that idea regards ice cube trays have been using 300ml screw top containers but your way will make things alot easier CHEERS ;) I always make a stock after all bird roast's we make.

funny you should say that chefy we don't roast the bones for our veal stock ant more and end up with a much better result nicked the recipe from the french laundry works a treat. We also make a white chicken stockthat we use quite a lot don't roast the bones for that either tends to stay nice and light, ideal for emulsion sauces.

nick

Always use good stock when you can, packets and cubes are just foul things full of E numbers.

I always boil up my bones - chicken, beef or whatever, with a a couple of onions and carrots, reduce it and then freeze it in yoghurt pots. I always have a ready supply then for my soups, gravy or casseroles. Its a good starting point, so you can just add wine or suitable herbs to it depending on what its going in to.

Those little stockpots you can now buy at the supermarket aren't bad, Knorr I think, they dont have the salt and E number content of packets or cubes (but do contain some preservative).